Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-13-2013, 10:54 PM   #1 
via

giant bettas?

Hey guys, I'm new to the forums and this is going to be my first questions. Well i 've been researching more and more about betta when I came across these giant bettas. They said that they can grow up to 7 in!! I never heard that a betta can grow up to 7 in. The biggest bettas that I saw were king betta at Petco that was a little over 3 in. So my questions are can the king bettas from Petco grow to 7 in and if so, how long will it take? Also, where can I buy a giant betta that is 7 in? Thnx for any replies.
via is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:04 PM   #2 
blu the betta

EvilVOG sells giant bettas but i heard his areb4-5 inches.
blu the betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:06 PM   #3 
blu the betta

not sure about the king bettas thought. i guess ill find out from my aunt her friend is giving me her 2 king bettas for $5.00 each! both come with a 2 gal tank.
blu the betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:13 PM   #4 
aemaki09

Ehh its a tough one.
Most giants are about 3.5 inches at 4 months old, betta's arent full grown till they are about 8 months.
I highly doubt that most grow to be 7", around 4.5 would be a good estimate IMO.
As for kings, I've never had one and I've never read up on them, but I'm sure they are pretty much the same as giants, just with a different name
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:27 PM   #5 
sunstar93

Kings are essentially from half-giant lines, so they will not grow as big as full giants but are definately bigger than regular sized bettas. I have heard that they will max out at about 4 inches, but not totally sure- my King is probably 3 inches long and he still has a little growing to do. And growth is part hereditary, part care. A proper, clean environment and high quality food will help them grow into big strong bettas (:
And you can probably ask some breeders on here if they have giants for sale, or look on Aquabid. As far as I know, most chain stores do not sell giants.
sunstar93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:42 PM   #6 
hannah16

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu the betta View Post
not sure about the king bettas thought. i guess ill find out from my aunt her friend is giving me her 2 king bettas for $5.00 each! both come with a 2 gal tank.
"King" or Giant bettas, whatever name you'd like to give them, the bigger than normal bettas need at least 10 Gallons minimum, EACH. I am not trying to be rude, just letting you know that 2 gallons is too small for such beauties but congrats on them!

I'd love a Giant/King. They just need more room than the normal betta needing at least 1 Gallon.
hannah16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:59 AM   #7 
indjo
TFK Moderator

7" included HM fins (I think). Body measurement probably only reached 4-5"

IMO, kings are basically half giants so they can't reach the maximum giant size. Most bettas practically stop growing after 1yr (most regular bettas should be fully grown around 6 months - some still slightly grow until 8-12 months) . Kings and Giants do most of their growing during the first 4 months. If they don't reach 5.5cm/+2", they will unlikely reach half giants size (3"). (Measurements are body only, without fins).
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:41 AM   #8 
via

Thnx for the info
via is offline   Reply With Quote