Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-24-2013, 11:39 AM   #1 
LadyVictorian

Help with dying Anubias

So my Anubias which I have had for 2 weeks now is slowly dying. The edges of the leaves are turning brown and shriveling up and I am not sure why. I fertilize the water, the tank is set to 80 degrees, the ph is 7.6, and my java fern is doing just fine. I mean the only thing I can think of is that we have lots of iron in the water since it's well water. What should I do about my plant? What's wrong with it?
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:50 AM   #2 
Rin9

Is the rhizome above the gravel or did you bury it with the roots?
Rin9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:51 AM   #3 
Laki

If the rhizome is above the gravel and is not tied on to some cotton from the store, I would guess you have a problem with lighting. Most likely it's the rhizome. The rhizome nees to be out of gravel, like the java fern, and its roots need to be anchored to something or under gravel.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:55 AM   #4 
LadyVictorian

It's tied to a rock so the roots have all grown to the rock....it isn't in the gravel at all, several inches above the gravel in fact.

As for the lighting is it possible it's too bright since it's a low light plant? My Java Fern is just fine in the tank and has been growing like a weed.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:31 PM   #5 
Rin9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post
It's tied to a rock so the roots have all grown to the rock....it isn't in the gravel at all, several inches above the gravel in fact.

As for the lighting is it possible it's too bright since it's a low light plant? My Java Fern is just fine in the tank and has been growing like a weed.
The lights being too bright won't hurt them...I have several in my 55 that are under super bright lights...do you supplement with CO2?
Old 01-24-2013, 12:39 PM   #6 
LadyVictorian

I do not, I was told I wouldn't have to with java fern and anubias.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:45 PM   #7 
LadyVictorian

Anyone have a clue about what could be wrong?

Also in the qt tank the leaves were sticking out of the water but even the ones IN the water have started turning bad. All leaves are underwater as well. Should I cut off the leaves that are rotting away? Should I remove the whole plant and toss it out?
Old 01-24-2013, 10:26 PM   #8 
Rin9

I still supplement with CO2...trim the dying leaves off and see about some CO2 (you can get liquid CO2 for easy use), if you are using a normal fertilizer already it covers everything except potassium and CO2...I've never had to find extra potassium so I would doubt that it's your problem.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:14 PM   #9 
LadyVictorian

Thank you so much, I am going to trim off the dead leaves and get some CO2 hopefully saturday. At lease the java moss and java ferns are still doing good.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:00 PM   #10 
Caii

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post
Thank you so much, I am going to trim off the dead leaves and get some CO2 hopefully saturday. At lease the java moss and java ferns are still doing good.
Please let us know how it goes! Good luck!
Caii is offline   Reply With Quote