Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-16-2013, 05:59 PM   #31 
Bluewind

Here is a bit about me
When I was a little girl, my family was very poor. But we had one thing going for us, a nice bit of land. My dad, pappaw, and brothers hunted. When they weren't doing that, we all tended a garden. It was how we survived. Many of the adults worked, but it wasn't enough money to live off of. I was unplanned and my mother's pregnancy and later birth put us in a real pickle. Without hunting, my family most likely would have starved.

Another bit
We have HUGE hogs here. Armored and strong enough to take down a full grown man. My dad and I were walking through the woods when he ran across a sow in a bad mood. She charged. He shot. She kept coming. He tried to jump behind a tree, but she ran around! She ran him over and dislocated his shoulder. BANG! Again and again as she tried to use her tusks on him. I think it was the 5th shot that took her down.

Last edited by Bluewind; 01-16-2013 at 06:11 PM.
Bluewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:14 PM   #32 
Bluewind

Ran out of space->
And
My dad went to a the covinence store one day. A bunch of cumbersome looking men stood outside going in and out in the early morning. Dad was leaving when he decided to turn back around and drive back. The men were all alone with the single attendant. Not another car in sight. And their thin pants now all showed the outline of a handgun, something that wasn't there before. Dad stood there talking to the attendant and without saying a word, he pulled back his coat to reviel his lether holster at his side, the one he had moved from the small of his back before entering the store. The men took off without a shot fired.

Finally
We live in the middle of nowhere. Quarter mile from my nearest neighbor. An ambulance takes 15 min minimum to get here. I had an unstable man in our front yard throwing insults at me and it took the sherif 20-30 minutes to get here!

All of this is why I believe guns should not be outlawed. They are needed.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Bluewind; 01-16-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:11 PM   #33 
bahamut285

Just gonna say that I agree wholeheartedly with Matt and DQ.

If you need an assault rifle to hit a target, you better get yourself back to the shooting range to practice more -_-

Also, I am not an American but I'm pretty sure that amendment is out of date with its interpretation (much like the bible). It was used because back in the day, it was so that any man of the house would be able to be called as a small town militia in the case of being attacked.

I do not think more guns on the street will force "criminals to think twice" about shooting somebody. Next thing you know, American streets will be like Syria or Iraq, with people wandering the streets with guns because everybody is afraid of the next person. It's like an Arms Race within your own damned country.

Instead why not just have police or officially licensed personnel protecting civilians? Not only would that create more jobs, but it would definitely make people think twice before trying to rob a store with two burly cops standing within 20m of the front entrance.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:30 PM   #34 
Bluewind

Because many small towns and rural areas here can't afford that. State Police in my state can't give out as many tickets because they have gas rations and thus have nothing to chase people with. Some small towns can have as few as 2 officers in a city. Then there are towns outside city limits which only have sherif and deputies over several of them. Shootings are rare where I live. A front page event honetly! Now other states are different than mine, I know this, but in my state guns are needed for hunting and protection as there is a great distance between us and government officals who can protect us. We have to go through background checks, procedures, and such to buy guns. We must have a license to hunt and carry a weapon. I think allowing people to own and use guns who diserve them is a good thing. Now I'm not saying we should have bazookas and tommy-guns! That's overkill. But certain guns do serve a purpose for those that use them properly.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Bluewind; 01-16-2013 at 10:38 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:33 AM   #35 
kfryman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut285 View Post
Instead why not just have police or officially licensed personnel protecting civilians? Not only would that create more jobs, but it would definitely make people think twice before trying to rob a store with two burly cops standing within 20m of the front entrance.
Because once the country turns into a police state you will be screwed and defenseless. An Ar15 is a modern musket, it is one shot per trigger pull. An assault weapon is a select fire rifle that is capable of shooting fully automatic.

Also, a militia is needed, the Coast Guard functions like a militia, but it is still not a militia. The reason why average civilians deserve to keep and shoot an assault rifle is because a militia will stand no chance if they have no military grade weapons. Sure the US pays a lot for the armed forces, but if the soldiers find out what is going on they may flip sides. Also again, history has shown smaller armies can defeat much more powerful armies, the most famous would be between the British and the Americans, the British were known as a global super power yet, with the motivation to win the Americans pulled through. The government is deceptive and powerful, I would never want my life depended on them, never.

Something funny I saw one time was "Why do civilians need guns? Because carrying a police officer around doesn't work" What is the difference between a citizen with an AR15 and a police officer with one? Why do people feel safe when there is a cop around? Because he has a gun.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:04 AM   #36 
bahamut285

I NEVER even mentioned ANYTHING about a police state. More police on the street =/= police state -_-.

The reason why we feel safe when there is a cop around is not because he has a gun. It is because it his HIS JOB to provide guardianship over the weak and defenseless. His uniform represents law and order. He is a guardian of the law, not an oppressor who is going to arrest you if you pass wind at your local walmart. The uniform s/he wears provides a certain psychological effect that doubles with self-introspection.

A police officer owns a gun because they have been trained how to use it when necessary, not to just open fire blindly because they got scared of some creepy schizo wandering around. They are trained to negotiate. They serve and they protect.

If you honestly think that all police officers are just there to oppress your rights, try moving to China. Live anywhere else except your own country, Canada and maybe the Nordic countries. You will be glad that your country has the rights and freedoms it does :/

EDIT:

Thank you Blue Wind for that explanation. I kind of figured that your government provides funding for public services but I guess not.....

Last edited by bahamut285; 01-17-2013 at 01:12 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:43 AM   #37 
Bluewind

No problem Baha. I figured many who do not live here needed a better context as to why they are important to us. It's not that we are a bunch of loons waiting on our doorsteps for the government to screw up. We (the lawful citizens of the United States) actually need them and have good and positive uses for them. I mean, the hunting industry alone is huge here and supports many people. There are so many jobs attached to it as well as a community effort toward eleminating intrusive species (like whild pigs) that endanger native species and programs where people can donate meat from a kill to feed the homeless and hungry. I suppose I look at guns this way because I live in the south as people in big cities would never use them for their intended purposes unless they left the city.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Bluewind; 01-17-2013 at 01:50 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:45 AM   #38 
RoMay

@Bluewind in Wisconsin deer hunters sometimes donate their deer to food banks. I was volenteering the day five deer showed up. Five deer can feed a lot of people.

About gun control it is a really tuff thing. It's easy to scream ban all guns when something terrible happens. It's so easy to remember that banning guns is illogical. Even if you ban guns, people will find a way to own guns. Making more guns unaccounted for. Besides the issue is not the guns, it is the people behind the guns. Take away a gun a person will still find a way to do his dirty deed.

What we need to do is strict psych evaluations, and not just one. With each gun they purchase they should be required to retake it. You can say above X amount of guns if you will. At some time there has to be a point which someone has to sit back and wonder if someone has to many guns. Mental health care also needs to be looked at in this country. It is so hard for a person to be able to afford to see a professional. I read many times that the Newtown shooter's mother was afraid to leave him alone.

Drug tests probably would do a little to help.

There is so many maybes, and what ifs that it is not funny. Who is to say who is wrong and who is right? The only thing we can say is that there is no perfect solution to this issue. The only thing we do know is mental illness is increasing in this country, and more people are taking their ills out with guns.
RoMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:53 AM   #39 
Bluewind

We have no limit on hogs, but that is about our yearly limit of dear! What a wonderful thing you did feeding so many people!

I know your ideas mean well, but where do we draw the line? Rather than a gun limit, why not a mental eval every x years for gun owners? That way it would be fair to the man with one gun and the avid collector.

When it comes to drug tests, there are a lot of problems with it. Not the test itself, but the cost. What should be tested for? Should the already stressed government pay for the tests? Or should the person buying the gun? Wouldn't that put a strain on the poor who need guns for the purpose of providing for their families and thus be discrimination? So many questions and no way to answers them
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Bluewind; 01-17-2013 at 02:58 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:55 AM   #40 
bahamut285

While I agree with the annual psych evaluation, you're gonna get people screaming
"OMG POLICE STATE STOP INVADING MY LYFFEE. I CRI ERRYTIM"

It would be impossible to enforce. It is already difficult enough to enforce simple DRIVING rules let alone a mandatory psych evaluation for a gun license