Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-17-2013, 02:55 AM   #41 
RoMay

well put an age limit on the guns, knock on wood but I haven't herd anyone starting a shooting with an antique weapon.

Like I said there is no perfect solutions.
RoMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:01 AM   #42 
Bluewind

It's not really about "antiques" (items over 100 years old) as old and rare. I know many collectors in my area and some of their most prized pieces are one that were passed down from parents or similar to what they or their father used when they were a kid and those items are under 100 years old and thus unable to be classified as an antique.

Also, from an investment standpoint, a gun which can fire is worth 50-100% more than one that has been demiliterized. So, having collectors do this would actually distroy their investment.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Bluewind; 01-17-2013 at 03:04 AM.
Bluewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:54 AM   #43 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Good lord, I thought we were talking about the US, not Somalia.
But in all seriousness, you people feel you need guns for protection down there, then it must be a lot like Somalia, the problem is poverty and lack of education. Fear. I get that the States is pretty uneven, the south generally gets the short end of the stick, but if you need to carry a gun to protect from anything other than a wild animal, sorry that just sounds like your country needs to be better developed. And I do get that with your government, that won't happen. After hurricane Katrina, they fixed the nice part of New Orleans and left the rest to rot.
Don't get me wrong though, you guys still have way more freedom than most people, probably somewhere in the top 10. As far as I know though most well developed countries seem to have gun regulations.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:51 AM   #44 
Bluewind

That was a little hurtful Oly. Are you saying that it is the uneducated and the fearful that are progun? That we (and in proxy I) are an unevolved county? I don't see myself that way. I don't carry a gun myself, but my dad does when he goes to a rural or bad area. I have went hunting and survived off the land. I have shot pest species that come in our yard. I don't live in fear with a gun at my side nor do I think they can solve the world's problems. Regulations are important, but so is choice. The choice to have them or not falls on each person. To judge us based on your county's policies and belief systems is to judge us out of context. I see guns as a means to feed the hungry as many donate part of their kills to such causes. To make a noise when your lost or in trouble on a farm or in the woods. Not some crazy person on a porch with a gun on his lap waiting on the government to come.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Bluewind; 01-17-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:29 PM   #45 
Bluewind

I'm back after doing a bit of research. Sorry that these stats do not include pre-gunban stats for the UK, but it is hard to search from my phone. I did find that their was a boom of gun related crime after and a steady incline since, but I could not find exact stats so I didn't post them.

According to the government sites I visited and statistics I read, assault in the UK is over double that of the US. Incidents of rape were also double. Drug offences were staggeringly higher in the UK which makes me wonder if it is an environmental issue and not a gun related one. The total number of crime victims was also 25% higher in the UK. Murders with firearms were MUCH higher in the US, but I was unable to find the overall murder rate and pre-gunban UK murder rate for comparison.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Bluewind; 01-17-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:09 PM   #46 
bahamut285

Gun murders last year in the US: 11,000
Gun murders last year in the UK: 35

Not to mention UK has had absolutely zero school shootings
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:06 PM   #47 
kfryman

I would move to the UK, but I couldn't deal with the weather.

I think that areas have different ideas on what is acceptable and what isn't. I think it is a lot to do with your background and how you grew up. If a state ever secedes and it is the South I would go in a hurry because I do believe in a Confederacy, like states have more power than the federal government so individual states can customize their needs accordingly.

But an entire ban from the government is not logical. It's much too costly, mental health checks definitely, though you cannot make the person pay for it, so everyone pays for it.

Olympia, the second amendment was not created for hunters, it was created so a government cannot ban firearms and leave the people defenseless if the government does try anything. Britain was a tyranny over the colonies, the founding fathers don't say bear flint locks or muskets, an army armed with those today would get destroyed and not stand a chance, if they did know of the technology they would of said keep it, but a plane capable of flying faster than the sound barrier or a rifle that could kill someone over a mile away wasn't logical to them. If someone thought about that they would probably be locked away.

Edit: Yes there is a high murder rate with guns, but that doesn't mean an "assault" rifle ban will change that as those types of guns (semiautomatic rifles) account for such a small amount of murders, roughly 50 or so every year. Thats because it is kind of hard to get away when you are the only person carrying a rifle when there were just shots fired. A pistol however accounts for most murders, usually the pistol used is a revolver as well.

Last edited by kfryman; 01-17-2013 at 02:19 PM.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:16 PM   #48 
Bluewind

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut285 View Post
Gun murders last year in the US: 11,000
Gun murders last year in the UK: 35

Not to mention UK has had absolutely zero school shootings
I meant overall murders to compare statistics of precentage of population murdered. Do you have those numbers?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-17-2013, 02:24 PM   #49 
bahamut285

It was on Piers Morgan the other day.

Total Murders in the US: 15,000
Gun related murders in the US: 11,000

Total Murders in the UK: 648; but it is 3000ish when adjusted for population
Gun related murders in the UK: 35; but 200ish when adjusted for population

Oh, there were also two crossbow murders in the UK, lol

By adjusted for population I mean that the UK has about 1/5 of the population of the US so the percentage of murders is adjusted to the US population.

Last edited by bahamut285; 01-17-2013 at 02:27 PM. Reason: I can't math
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:45 PM   #50 
Shirleythebetta

There seems to be a stereotype on America which is understandable. I promise we aren't all toothless hillbillies that want to carry guns to shoot anything that moves. I have lived in the country most of my life and they ARE necessary for protection, from man and beast at least were I am. We have had coyotes come on our property and my husband was attacked and has the scars to prove it.

I have called the Sheriff before and not seen one for 45 minutes. I live in areas only protected by county sheriffs who live to far away to do anything. But my family has gotten by with a pistol or a shot gun. Never shot anyone. Never shot at anyone at all but we have been robbed a few times because living in the country makes you an easy target. My husband once had to scare burgalers out with a shot gun before and all he had to do was cock it. The noise scared them away. My other home was broken into at the back door and our garage robbed. I say we need something for protection. I have a teeny gun :3 it only holds two small bullets and I know how to shoot to scare or to wound. I would never shoot to kill unless necessary.

We all aren't wanting to own guns to kill sorry to disappoint but we aren't all crazy rednecks. Both my husband and myself are educated people and do not own guns for the wrong reasons and we aren't afraid. We aren't so niave to trust our police force to save our lives either. And we also know it isn't the police forces fault when they can't make it on time. They can't be everywhere and if everyone remembers, certain places ended up laying off lots of officers and my state was one hit hard by this layoff. We got some police back but not many.

We are still severly under protected.

My own parents live in a SUBURB and they are protected by a sheriff's office. The crime has increased for what reason? No local cops. So lets do the math. When your home is being broken into and you call the police. Who is going to win if they are armed and you aren't? the criminals. The police might get there in time to discover the winner but if the winner isn't you, are the criminals going to be waiting their for the police? Not likely.

Also, owning guns is not about pride to the ones who are good people. If you look on facebook you will surely find many young american men who are puffing out their lips and holding thier guns sideways. Those are the current and future criminals. Not the people who want to protect theirselves. Those criminals are the ones who feel a gun makes you powerful. Those are the ones the police here can't control. There is more of a problem with this type but it is so common here that the only thing they talk about with gun incidents anymore on national news is the mentally ill.

To those of you who don't live here you have to understand or at least try to. We have a big big problem with media here. The media takes over everything and chooses what to put on air. They don't like common. Common is boring and doesn't get the attention of the entire world.

My husband and I are gun collectors. A few of the guns we own are more than a hundred years old and are not legal to fire therefore they don't have the equiptment in them to fire. We safe guard our guns and only keep what we need at hand.

We are also on the flip side very much for gun control. I believe you only have to be eighteen to own a shotgun? correct me if I am wrong please. And twenty one to buy a handgun. That is way to young in my opinion. You aren't old enough to understand gun safty at that age. I don't see why it would be so hard to do psych evaluations and make everyone take at least a saftey course to own a gun. As a business student I would say there woult be many entrepreneurs willing to make a business out of it!

Last edited by Shirleythebetta; 01-17-2013 at 02:50 PM.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote