Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-12-2013, 11:16 PM   #1 
Quills
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Betta afraid of the dark?

My tank is very well lit, and has more than enough lights turned on at all times. But whenever I turn off the lights in the room, even though the fish tank is lit as bright as daylight, my Betta goes berserk and starts showing it's gills and swimming all over the fish tank very aggressively.
I am quite unsure what a stressed out Betta looks like, but I have no idea why he does that, and in the morning because of him being on guard the whole night he ends up sleeping (not moving almost at all) until noon.
Anyone know any way to cure this?
This seems to be a new behavior which he never did before, and I can't see what might cause that since I have not changed anything at all in his fish tank or diet.
Quills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:20 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team
 
shellieca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ontario, CA
Are you leaving the tank light on 24/7? When the tank lights are on but the room lights are off they typically see their own reflection. The tank light should not be on 24/7 only 8-10 hrs per day. They need a day/night cycle like any other living being.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:26 PM   #3 
cdouglas93
Member
 
cdouglas93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Conneaut, Ohio
See I have the opposite reaction. I'm stating to think my female is actually afraid of the light or just really dislikes it. When I have a light on her (both when she was in her 1.5 gallon and now even in her 5g she hides in the plants or behind the filter but when it's off she will swim all over the place and is just in general more active. Is there any reason she does this?
cdouglas93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:26 PM   #4 
Quills
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Ah I see, thanks for the explanation. Now it makes sense why it would freak out. At daytime I usually keep on my white light, and at night time I turn on green and blue lights (still enough of them to create a lot of light). But I guess I will turn them off.
Weird thing is that this behavior is new and I never saw him do that.
Quills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:30 PM   #5 
shellieca
Reference Team
 
shellieca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ontario, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdouglas93 View Post
See I have the opposite reaction. I'm stating to think my female is actually afraid of the light or just really dislikes it. When I have a light on her (both when she was in her 1.5 gallon and now even in her 5g she hides in the plants or behind the filter but when it's off she will swim all over the place and is just in general more active. Is there any reason she does this?
It's possible she finds it too bright & is why she hides.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:33 PM   #6 
shellieca
Reference Team
 
shellieca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ontario, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quills View Post
Ah I see, thanks for the explanation. Now it makes sense why it would freak out. At daytime I usually keep on my white light, and at night time I turn on green and blue lights (still enough of them to create a lot of light). But I guess I will turn them off.
Weird thing is that this behavior is new and I never saw him do that.
I don't know maybe it finally got to him. But with the colored lights it wouldn't or shouldn't be that bright. I'd try no lights at all at night for a week or so & see how he behaves then you'll know if that's the problem or not.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:34 PM   #7 
cdouglas93
Member
 
cdouglas93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Conneaut, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
It's possible she finds it too bright & is why she hides.
That's what I thought with the 1.5 gallon since it was so small and maybe it is the same with the 5g. I'm hoping to move her into a 30g after it cycles and I guess I'll see then
cdouglas93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help, I think my betta fish is afraid of me? Toshichi Betta Fish Care 16 11-08-2014 04:10 AM
I think my betta is afraid of the dark .. kaaii Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 9 06-21-2012 07:17 PM
betta afraid of gravel accents Breshiki Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 4 01-06-2012 12:26 AM
betta afraid of lights? hsarah Betta Fish Care 3 08-26-2011 10:26 PM
How do I help my betta not be afraid of me? TRISHIESfishie Betta Fish Care 5 12-09-2010 12:22 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.