xShainax

Ciel being lethargic

Housing
What size is your tank? 6.6
What temperature is your tank? 80
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Attinsons betta pro
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? stress coat +

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: N/A
Nitrite: N/A
Nitrate: N/A
pH: N/A
Hardness: N/A
Alkalinity: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? N/A
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He is staying on the bottom of the tank and not eating
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Yesterday
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? changed the water 50%
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Got him Friday
How old is your fish (approximately)? N/A
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:55 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Is the filter too strong for him? I would turn it off for a day or so to see what he does. Because your tank is new I suggest getting a good liquid Water Test Kit so you can keep an eye on your ammonia, nitrites, nitrates & Ph, unless of course you properly cycled the tank before adding your Betta. You will need to do more frequent water changes to keep the water safe for him while it is cycling. Once the cycle is completed you will need to do weekly 50% water changes. It is unfortuanately possible you purchased a sick fish. Its only been a few days so it he could still be adjusting but you should at least see some movement from him.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:55 PM   #3 
xShainax

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
Is the filter too strong for him? I would turn it off for a day or so to see what he does. Because your tank is new I suggest getting a good liquid Water Test Kit so you can keep an eye on your ammonia, nitrites, nitrates & Ph, unless of course you properly cycled the tank before adding your Betta. You will need to do more frequent water changes to keep the water safe for him while it is cycling. Once the cycle is completed you will need to do weekly 50% water changes. It is unfortuanately possible you purchased a sick fish. Its only been a few days so it he could still be adjusting but you should at least see some movement from him.
The tank is fully cycled though. :( I am going to put him in one of my 2.5 gallons without a filter and see if it helps
Old 01-22-2013, 03:07 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

How do you know it's cycled without parameters tested, though? He might just be settling in, or maybe he has some problems from the pet store's care. If you can, add in IAL or washed dried oak leaves. The properties will help soothe his stress. Sorry. :(
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:18 PM   #5 
xShainax

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
How do you know it's cycled without parameters tested, though? He might just be settling in, or maybe he has some problems from the pet store's care. If you can, add in IAL or washed dried oak leaves. The properties will help soothe his stress. Sorry. :(
I had the tank over 8 months, so I am pretty sure it's cycled
Old 01-22-2013, 03:19 PM   #6 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by xShainax View Post
The tank is fully cycled though. :( I am going to put him in one of my 2.5 gallons without a filter and see if it helps
How did you cycle the tank? Setting it up & letting it run does not cycle it, you must add an ammonia source. How long has it been completely cycled?
Old 01-22-2013, 03:20 PM   #7 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by xShainax View Post
I had the tank over 8 months, so I am pretty sure it's cycled
Was there a break between fish for more than 2 days? Did you supply an ammonia source during that time? What happened to the tanks previous occupant?
Old 01-22-2013, 03:36 PM   #8 
xShainax

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
How did you cycle the tank? Setting it up & letting it run does not cycle it, you must add an ammonia source. How long has it been completely cycled?
I did an in-fish cycle. I put him in one of my 2.5 gallons and he is looking a little better
Old 01-22-2013, 10:15 PM   #9 
callistra

I remember you from the pictures forum.. how clamped your boy was..

So this tank used to have other fish in it for the past 8 months? Did any of them die in it? Before you added him did you do a 90%+ water change? Why did you remove them?

What filter do you have and how are you maintaining it.

In a tank this small I would increase water changes to 50% weekly. It also needs to include using a siphon to clean the gravel and not just taking water off the top.

IMHO, anytime you want to do only partial water changes a week and not 100% you should own a drops test kit for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and be able to test. Do you have this? This is a popular one: http://www.amazon.com/API-Freshwater.../dp/B000255NCI

I would test your water and increase your water changes. I would do a series of 50% changes w/siphon using same temp (use thermometer from main tank in running tap to match the temp) water. Premix the conditioner with this water before you add it to the tank. If you're not used to do this I suggest using either clean and new buckets, like the 5g orange buckets you can get at Home Depot, or gallon water jugs from the grocery store - rinse anything very well in hot water but no chems before using it for your fish. I would one change today, another tomorrow and maybe a third the day after.. depends on what your water tests as.

Does the 2.5 have new water? How long has it been set up?
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:23 PM   #10 
xShainax

He was freaking out because of the light. He would become livelier when the lights were out but started becoming lethergic while they were on. I switched one of the betta's around and the betta's are doing better with the switch