Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-08-2013, 05:34 AM   #1 
eMcEeNeSs

The Strip Bass Betta from Pet Co (BAY AREA)

The Strip Bass Betta from Pet Co (BAY AREA)

It says Double Tail Male on the circular box, but uh, this one is very unusual.
On the top side viewing down you can see his or her internals, and its definitely not due to weight issue or mistreatment. This breed is unique unsure which can someone help me? It also has some kind of green reflector strips on its side, almost like it can glow under green light. Why on earth is this betta so transparent, is it even a betta or is a it a sea bass? Is it an oversize female betta? I am so confuse! I can also see its brains, you can see in the picture.... It is like twice the size of a normal betta which is awkward... Has about 7-8 zebra stripes vertically from dorsal out... Has a funny looking mouth/nose, it looks more dolphin like. Very reflective in color, its that random green tint. Very active betta, has a personality of a dog or dolphin.
Another random thing is that his or her fins wiggles like a dog constantly, I am very unsure if this is a betta? Very transparent, can see guts, internals, and this isn't due to illness, this fish is like super happy as far as I can tell.. He or she also likes to eat a lot, not that normally for a betta, the size of this thing as repeated is quite large, and its always hunting for food, or thinking of it, I can tell.

I bought this Betta at Petco, because the dumbass Dragon Tail Betta from Petsmart decided to swallow a pebble. He was very peacock looking, but he was pretty dumb, I can tell for his dull personality. No offense to fish keepers!

Please assist!

Another random question, I just bought a Fluval 6 Gal for a potential ropefish/reedfish keep, should I keep the tank or refund it? What you guys think???
Attached Images

Last edited by eMcEeNeSs; 01-08-2013 at 05:51 AM.
eMcEeNeSs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:17 AM   #2 
MSG

That's no betta.....

It's a type of killifish & capable of ripping the fins/head off your betta.

Not sure if it's a bayou or banded one. You do the research.

The killifish I owned was "golden yellow" about 2.5" and was capable of eating WHOLE flies I swatted during the summer.

It died when it leaped out the rear equipment cutouts & dried up like piece of jerky.

When you drop in a pellet during feeding, watch your killi torpedo himself @ the food. He'll be the betta to the food EVERY time.

Very fast & will eat small fish like neons.

Consider yourself lucky, because I don't think they're sold as aquarium fish.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:52 AM   #3 
eMcEeNeSs

I hate how the mystery was solved in less than an hour or so, how can Petco have a poor Killfish in a betta container, it makes no sense, on top of that, I thought he was special? What do you mean I should consider myself lucky sir, what are these fish sold as, just breeders?
Old 01-08-2013, 06:57 AM   #4 
MSG

I don't think you can buy them for aquariums. That's why you are lucky. They're only found in the wild as far as I know.

I wish I could get another healthy fry eating killifish but I don't think they would coexist with the bettas peacefully.

I would trade you one of my betta fry/juvies for your killie if you were local.

I'm sure someone local will trade you something for it.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:01 AM   #5 
eMcEeNeSs

http://www.google.com/search?q=.+Gol...=1920&bih=1075

Last edited by eMcEeNeSs; 01-08-2013 at 07:04 AM.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:11 AM   #6 
MSG

For your ropefish......

Minimum Tank Size: 50 gallons

So your Fluval 6 would be too small.

Most of those rope fish/eels require large tanks of at least 40G.

As for your killi.... I guess you have the opposite of the one I owned. I don't know which gender has stripes but I've never seen one before.

The one I had was yellow/green.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:14 AM   #7 
eMcEeNeSs

Senior Member, I think someone caught a Golden Wonder Killfish, and assumed it was a male betta and packaged it. Thank you for your knowledge, I am very thankful that I got a hold of one, he is quite active, and all the facts on the internet about this type of phylum is straight on. I need pellets now as you stated, just been feeding how Betta worms, I'm such a bad owner. I am going on a super pet shopping frenzy tomorrow with one of my colleague from college, will update! Thank you again for your knowledge, I'll update if he grows to 6 inches all of a sudden!
Old 01-08-2013, 07:17 AM   #8 
eMcEeNeSs

Yes, I will need a bigger tank, I donated mine to the apartment nextdoor, but I could possibly get another one very cheap or near free. I don't know if I am ready for a big set up, maybe just an upgrade for the Killfish when he grows. We'll see, thank you again very much!
Old 01-08-2013, 07:45 AM   #9 
MSG

Another reason I never got another killifish is....

I fed mine at least 200 flies/moths/caterpillars before it mummified itself. Not exactly an easy task, but it did make it more fun to go outside in the backyard with the fly swatter.

Don't feed them spiders, but any other non-poisonous insect the killifish will gladly consume with gusto.

They're fun to have, but enjoy them while you can.... killies usually have a life span of maybe 2 years at the most.

BTW... You should call the store back to see if you can get some of your money back. Killi's are usually only about $2-$3 & a double tail bettas would be $6-$8.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:02 AM   #10 
eMcEeNeSs

Damn this betta forum kicks, thanks so much, I will return to that Pet Co store to return my Fluval 6, and also ask about this refund. Thanks! I think I am just going to get another small Beta Tank, just for another personal. Other than, the refund on the Fluval would help me out with my vehicle funds. Thanks for all the advice! I might just do this all in one setting at the local store near my house, update pictures on my next random set up!