Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-12-2013, 11:46 PM   #1 
wah543

Help Betta Attacked!

So I was changing the water in one of my tanks and i accidentally dropped it and it cracked. I didn't have any other tank to put my betta who lived in my tank so I thought I could use the divider that came with another tank with another betta and put him in their for a day until I got another tank. I came home and found him on the other side of the divider with the other betta laying on the ground with his fins tattered up barely swimming and breathing hard. I got him out of there and found another small container we had lieing around that's not that tall and put him in there for now so he can swim up to breath without much work. Will he get better? is there anything I can do to help him?

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5
What temperature is your tank? 78
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Another Betta divided

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Dechlorinating solution

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No not sure

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Yes Fins tattered
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Barely swimming
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? Got him in March from Petco
wah543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:58 PM   #2 
veggiegirl

Hey there,

Whenever bettas get into a fight it is not pretty, It happened to me once. Look, as long as you keep his water extra clean to prevent infection your boy should be fine, sometimes they are left with a little permanant damage but not always. When my betta barrack tank was set up differently there were a couple of tiny holes in the lid and one of my males jumped through the tiny hole (that was like the size of a 5c piece!) into the tank next door with another male. I was out all day and came home to find they had been fighting all day. One of the boys just got a couple of tears in his tail and was otherwise fine. The other poor fish had no fins left apart from a couple of thin strands, his swim bladder was damaged and he had missing scales but worst of all his bottom jaw was ripped almost off and hanging by a thread. I was so upset and thought he was a goner for sure but I was wrong. His fins regrew, his scales healed, his bottom jaw reattached but slightly crooked. He was left with a slight swim bladder problem and his jaw was slightly crooked but he was fine. Despite the major damage to his jaw he didn't even miss a meal!!!! When it comes down to it as long as a bettas basic needs are met they can surprise us and and be hardy in some ways.
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:00 AM   #3 
sunstar93

Warm water and some TLC will do the trick! Maybe some stress coat, as it will help sooth the torn fins (i think most of them have aloe vera in them?). Try to minimize any stress put on him- I've found that this will help my fish when they are sick (like doing a water change every 3 days instead of every day since he's in a 1 gallon). I am so sorry that happened to you, and him, and I wish him a speedy recovery!

Last edited by sunstar93; 01-13-2013 at 12:02 AM.
sunstar93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:03 AM   #4 
wah543

I'm not sure how long they were fighting for wasn't home all day either and when I came home he was on the ground and the other betta was swimming casually like he didn't do anything and nothing was wrong. But I don't see his jaw being off or anything just some tattered fins, he's not swimming really much at all though
Old 01-13-2013, 12:07 AM   #5 
wah543

would aquarium salts also help? should I get that too
Old 01-13-2013, 12:09 AM   #6 
sunstar93

I would dissolve a little (1/2 tablespoon?)- it'll help his slime coat that will help his fins. He is probably tired and that may be why he's not swimming a lot. He is probably also under a lot of stress.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:10 AM   #7 
wah543

Ok I'll get some Aquarium salt and Stress coat tomorrow, It's like 1 am here now hopefully he feels better by the morning
Old 01-13-2013, 12:11 AM   #8 
sunstar93

I hope so too! But with a little love he'll be good as new. (:
Old 01-13-2013, 04:38 AM   #9 
Tikibirds

I have a 10G divided 3 ways and I sometimes find 2 on the same side of the divider. Normally, it's just some torn fins but last time one was badly beat up. Heavy breathing, bad fins and he developed a fungus from the wounds. Fungus is gone but he is currently on the mend..

The best thing for him right now is just to have some time alone to relax, preferably in a dimly lit location. Other then that - clean warm water is the best thing. You can do aquarium salt if you want - make sure its disolved before adding it to the tank. Also - keep an eye out for fungus. Sometimes it will take hold at the site of an injury.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:31 AM   #10 
wah543

This morning he's still very inactive I put his toy that he used to have in his old tank and he's just sitting in there, I haven't gotten the stress coat or aquarium salt yet though