Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-13-2013, 01:22 AM   #1 
adcx64

Betta Tank Buying Help!

Hey Guys,

After reading some guides here, Ive decided to get a proper tank instead of the 1Gal Betta bowl I've had. Petsmart has both a 2.5Gal and a 10Gal for 13.99. Should I opt for a larger one? I currently have a live Amazon Sword plant and and artificial one. My Betta seems happy in the bowl I have, and I even found him sleeping on one of the plants leaves. (see my other thread for pics) Could someone shed some light on wether or not its really beneficial to my fish to have a larger tank? I will supply a heater and filter, no worries!
adcx64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:33 AM   #2 
billysurf

the betta can live both in small containers, as in bulk containers for a betta can be healthy and colors, must have a good quality of water, and good water temperature (27 degrees)
billysurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:55 AM   #3 
shellieca
Reference Team

Personally if you can do a 10g DO IT! Mine love the space & are so active, its great watching them swim seeing their fins flowing behind them. BUT I will add, I have a CT male who is not very active (I think because of heavy finnage) so I've moved him out the 10g & downgraded him to a 2.5g & have put a much more active male into the 10g. Or if you want go with the 5.5g, I have one of those as well & find it provides plenty of room for an active Betta.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:13 AM   #4 
jessp118

I dont know if you have a petco near you, but petco is still having their 1$ a gallon sale. So a 10 gallon will cost you 10$. I just got one and its an amazing deal.
jessp118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:51 AM   #5 
Tikibirds

If you have the space, go for the 10G

1) you can cycle it - less water changes for you, better water for the fish. If you don't know about the nitrogen cycle PLEASE read up on it before turning on a filter!
2) more room for decor
3) more swimming space
4) you can add other fish or divide it and add another betta. Cory's seem to be a popular choice.

The only thing I would suggest with the 10G is that some bettas don't like big, open spaces. So I like to have an area that has alot of tall, oversized silk plants, kinda like a forest in one section of the tank. It gives the betta someplace to hide and explore and I sometimes find them sleeping on the leaves that reach the surface.

with a 2.5G - you need to do 2 weekly water changes which you do not need to do witha fully cycled 10G. One needs to be a 100% with gravel cleaning to get poop/debris out of the tank so it won't pollute the water and another smaller water only change of 50%. And you can't put any othe rliving thing in the tank -too small.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 01-13-2013 at 10:54 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:11 AM   #6 
callistra

I would go for the 10g but know you'll spend more setting it up. The tank is just the start of things to come.

*You'll need a stand that will hold 120lbs+.
*You'll need the gravel at a rate of 1-2lb per gallon.
*You'll need more plants and more places to hide because it's larger. I sometimes pull silk plants off their base and float them at the top of the tank because my guys all like to sleep up top.
*You'll need a gravel vac.
*You'll want a filter of some kind. If you use an HOB you'll want to prefilter it and maybe baffle it.
*You'll need a lid
*You'll need a good 50-100w heater. I like Aqueon Pro (the black ones not the regular crappy line), Jager and Marineland Visitherm
*You'll need one of those in tank thermometers to monitor temps
*You'll need a drops testing kit for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate to cycle it (cycling will take up to 2 months)
*You'll need water conditioner

I think you're good to go then..

Vs. 2 gallon

*Stand needs to hold 30lbs
*Gravel is optional if you don't want to cycle - rate of 1-2lb per gallon is still fine if you want gravel
*filter is optional and I personally wouldn't use one unless it's a sponge filter
*Testing kit is optional so long as you're doing the two water changes a week - one 50% and one 100%
*Turkey baster will replace a vac
*You'll still need conditioner
*You'll need a 25w heater instead (jager or marineland visitherm)
*You'll still need a thermometer
*You still need a lid
*You'll still need appropriate plants/hiding places but it's a much smaller space.

Last edited by callistra; 01-13-2013 at 11:16 AM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:58 PM   #7 
Hershey

If you can for that price-- and you get really into bettas, get both!
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:23 PM   #8 
callistra

Petco is having a $1 per gallon sale btw so their 10 gallons are $10. That won't include a hood though that could run you another $15
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:26 PM   #9 
adcx64

Thanks everyone. I decided on the 2.5 gallon, as the 10 would take up too much space and the 2.5 includes a canopy. Ill start a thread with my results as soon as its finished!

Does anyone know how quiet the Whisper 3i filters are?
adcx64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:40 PM   #10 
AyalaCookiejar

I have two whisper filters that came with my five gallons... One is silent and the other vibrates a lot.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote