Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-13-2013, 03:08 AM   #1 
louisvillelady

what would you say she is?

What is your opinion on her genetics? I am wanting to breed her with a copper. Thanks in advance for your input.
Attached Images

louisvillelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:11 AM   #2 
louisvillelady

this is the male I am planning to breed her with.
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2013, 03:59 AM   #3 
billysurf

she is a female hmpk
if you can have very nice crosses copies
has a metallic color with flashes in salamander tail depends on the parents, you will come out a few other color cooper and it
billysurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:16 AM   #4 
indjo
TFK Moderator

She is a nice betta - for sure. Not sure about color. If she is a salamander, she will probably produce red coppers and other colors.

Your male seems to be a half giant, in the least. If you want to work towards big bettas, you'd have to carefully select their offspring to further breed for F2. Or breed back to father/giant
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:28 AM   #5 
louisvillelady

thank you for the responses. Indjo, yes, both of these fish are half giants. I totally fell in love with the male, and in search for a suitable mate, found the female. I cannot make up my mind what her coloring is. I'm leaning toward a mucky pinapple, or chocolate. Her face is yellow, and it seems yellow is peeking out all over.

If she is a yellow, what do you think the coloring of the offspring will be?
Old 01-13-2013, 06:33 AM   #6 
louisvillelady

another half giant female that I'm considering. She was listed as "green" what "blue" would you say she is? Which female would you choose?
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2013, 06:46 AM   #7 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Yellow = NR + Red + cambodian, maybe + blond
Copper = metallic + steel blue (genetically - if you breed metallic to steel blue, you won't get coppers)

Yellow x copper probably will produce; cambodian (clean and with irids), multi copper or red copper, multi green/turquoise (green-red), few solid copper. Depending on background; may also get multi red (red with irids on body or fins).

Half giants/true giants are much more work. You have to feed them 4 - 6 times daily, as much as they will devour. Consequently you'll need to do more water changes. Best to begin selecting as early as 1 month - separate the runts from the larger ones to give more room for the giants (sometimes, though rare, the runts may have good giant genes but just won't eat. These will grow to be half giants/6cm).
I prefer the first female (fin wise)
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:52 AM   #8 
Sena Hansler

Finnage wise, the first female is best. And they definitely are more work! I will be finding this out in two weeks. Love their coloration :)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:22 PM   #9 
louisvillelady

My real concern with female one, is the number of tail rays. Female one is somewhere around 14?16 rays. Male is somewhere around 8. both are around 3 months old, and still room for more development. I would hate to have to throw out the spawn due to this. What are you thoughts?experiences with rose?feather tail? While I think they are beautiful!, I would only have them for pets and not breed. I fear these two are real close to the line. But I sooo love this male! Thanks again for the help!
Old 01-13-2013, 05:55 PM   #10 
louisvillelady

just been doing some more reading. I did not know that there were "yellow" salamanders. duh! It said they were first produced when developing the original Mustard Gas bettas. I'm thinking this is what she is. I would really love to keep the copper line going, and improve finnage, and get giants from these half giants. The person I bought the male from has a copper female available, but for waaayyy too much. I paid to much for the male as it is!lol (yes,I have it bad> some people can be found at the bar, some people at the gambling boat, I will be at thelfs, if Im not on aquabid, or bettafish.com)lol