Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-13-2013, 08:41 AM   #1 
Armyguy03

Prime Water Conditioner

Hello,

Does anyone have any advice on measuring out Prime Water Conditioner for 1 gallon water changes. The directions are okay, however, just note that a full cap covers 50Gs, and for smaller amounts just use the threads. However, one thread covers 20Gs. I dont mind using one thread because this stuff will last likely 2 full years at this measured amount. I was just curious if anyone else had a more refined measuring method.

Thanks

CPT
Armyguy03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:46 AM   #2 
Bounce

I use an eye dropper and add 2 drops per gallon.
Bounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:11 AM   #3 
MSG

This would be even EASIER..

Swap out the OEM screw top with a FLIP top plastic cap.

I just flip the bottle upside down & let gravity dispense the solution 1 drop at a time.

I DONT squeeze the container WHATSOEVER. Gravity does the dispensing.

I use 1 drop/gallon & so far I haven't killed anyone so I'll stand by this measurement.

Make sure your replacement CAP is rinsed out well. I would also HIGHLY recommend getting it from a condiment bottle in your refrigerator.
  • The 1st cap is most common with hair care beauty products/lotions/shampoos/conditioner, but any residue left behind will KILL/injure your fish. Use those bottle tops @ your own RISK.

MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:15 AM   #4 
Armyguy03

Thanks, switched out the flip cap from another bottle of betta water conditioner that I had that will "allow gravity to do its work." Tested it in my hand and after about 6 seconds a drop dispensed.

Great Forum BTW! Love me my Betta!!!

Last edited by Armyguy03; 01-13-2013 at 09:28 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:26 AM   #5 
Bounce

Good thinking, MSG! I'm going to have to give that a try! It's kind of a pain when the level gets low and I have to tip the bottle for the eye dropper to reach. I'm always scared I'm going to end up pouring it out and wasting it!
Bounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:39 AM   #6 
MSG

I'm sure other people have used a different bottle cap before. I wouldn't have attemped the eye drop method because that prime stuff smells like stink bomb solution to me.

I would be more concerned about splattering my clothes with the eye dropper full of prime than anything else.

I usually save the "NICER caps" before I toss the rest into the recycling bin so the day I started using prime for water changes, it just made sense to swap out the tops for easier dosing
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:21 AM   #7 
Armyguy03

Thanks again, this stuff is going to last forever. I am really interested in upgrading my tank to a 20G for just one Betta. Seeing how much Brad Pitt enjoys doing laps in his 10G I think a 20G wide tank would be heaven for him, and I could add a few more decorations as well. Goal is to get a 50G tank, but that will come when I am no longer moving around so much and settled in one place for a long time. Can you imagine, a 50G with only one betta, simply AMAZING! Extremely low bio load and he'd likely live for a really long time.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:07 PM   #8 
Hallyx
Reference Team

You can use the dropper bottles that come with the API test kit. The dropper part of the bottle can be popped out carefully with pliers.

Fill with Prime, you're good to go.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:11 PM   #9 
LittleBettaFish

I just pour my Prime into the lid, and use a 1ml plastic syringe from the chemist to measure out what I need. Makes it quite fast and easy to do my water changes then.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:23 PM   #10 
Kwomais

If you get the smallest bottles of prime, it says to use 1 drop per gallon (or you can do math and it works out to 0.1ml/gal)
Kwomais is offline   Reply With Quote