Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-13-2013, 09:25 AM   #1 
Ilikebutterflies

Who's selling giants?

Wow, the giant plakat market is scarce here lately. I'm looking for a few new fellas and one good female and can't find much stateside. Surely somebody is having luck breeding them? Mine bred very well the first few spawns but the males got lazy on me-though the females still seem very anxious to breed. I scrapped my spawns for a few reasons but I'm wanting to get going again. I have turquoise and salamander butterfly females so I'm looking for something to cross with them but I want another female as well.

I'm going to toss the males in outside ponds with a females and see if that changes their minds on breeding because they aren't interested in breeding in tanks AT ALL. Silly boys!
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:50 AM   #2 
Sena Hansler

If the male becomes lazy before spawning, show him another male. Usually revs up any of my males. It's a "if you don't get her... HE will!" And no male fishy lets that happen I'm guessing you are in the US?
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:15 AM   #3 
blu the betta

EvilVOG is selling giant plakats if you still want some. they are getting ready to sell them in 1 month. they are $10 each plus shipping.
blu the betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:41 AM   #4 
Ilikebutterflies

I've tried every trick I could find and they just don't care, lol. Two females, letting the female do the work, isolating the males for a few weeks, super conditioning, putting the pair in together with another male in a jar inside the spawn tank, everything...

I'm not working with reds just yet but if EvilVOG ends up with some cambodians I might pick up a few.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:31 AM   #5 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Older giant male . . . and females often become toooo lazy to spawn. Someone (local) once said they had to be kept with currents so they constantly move/exercise (doesn't work for me). If they do spawn they will be too lazy to even pick up eggs. In my case, my males want to spawn (not care about eggs/fry afterwards). It's my females that won't.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote