Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-04-2008, 01:32 AM   #1 
kritas

What types of fish are compatible with bettas?

What types of fish are compatible with a betta in a community tank, say... 50 gallons +?
kritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:47 AM   #2 
Fat_Fender_40

Any fish that is not a fin nipper (tiger barbs, etc..) and other aggressive fish.

Try tetras, plecos, danios, mollies, and other types of community friendly fish.
Fat_Fender_40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 04:43 PM   #3 
Flashygrrl

Fish that don't have long flowing fins.

Try getting some bottom dwellers like a bunch of cories.
Flashygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 05:07 PM   #4 
It'sJames

I keep my female betta with platies, an angel, cories, otos, a plec, and ADFs. The angel will tear a male's fins though. Some tetras can be nippy. Every betta is a bit different on what fish they'll accept in their space, but mine have never been too picky.
It'sJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 05:07 PM   #5 
King of Candlesticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_Fender_40
Any fish that is not a fin nipper (tiger barbs, etc..) and other aggressive fish.

Try tetras, plecos, danios, mollies, and other types of community friendly fish.
I had my betta in a tank with my mollies but the mollies nipped his fins and bothered him so much that I had to move my betta, so i wouldn't recommend them.

My Platies worked really well with my betta though.
King of Candlesticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 05:08 PM   #6 
Jmart

Would neon Tetras be good?
Jmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 05:14 PM   #7 
Cody

They should if they are in a decently sized group. I would say 8-10 here. Just watch out for nipping if you get them, because some tetras have been known to nip at bettas.
Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 11:04 AM   #8 
Whitebread

I keep a 20gallon with fancy tailed guppies in my son's room. I keep a male and female betta with them for population control. The guppies leave them alone and they compliment each other nicely.
Whitebread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 12:11 PM   #9 
It'sJames

Male and female bettas should not be kept together. I wouldn't suggest keeping bettas with fancy tail guppies -- it may work, but it's a risk.
It'sJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 07:49 AM   #10 
dlea52

Compatable?

Hi! I'm new to forum, but have question. I work as a companion for elderly lady who has a male beta.She always had in bowl that I had to frequently change. Recently we got a 10 gallon tank and put her other fish in this tank and moved beta to the 21/2 galon tank they occupied (after cleaning and properly setting up of course) Since I am only there 4 days and when sh tries to feed him, she sometimes puts too much food in so I was constantly having to change filter. To offset this we got a catfish(small) to keep bottom clean. They said to watch to make sure this would not stress either fish. Well, the beta seemed happy as a lark to have a buddy and they were fine. My problem is on the days I am not there her grandson stops and checks in on her and last time he was there he took the catfish out saying they shouldn't be together. Now the beta just lays about. Please give me facts I can show him that he is wrong!!!
dlea52 is offline   Reply With Quote