Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-13-2013, 02:03 PM   #1 
maycausedeath

Guppy Growth

I was taking pictures of a golden fry that has shown up in my mom's guppy tank when I noticed a guppy that looks like it has clear spikes growing out of it, for lack of a better word. There are quite a few of them, and they look almost like crystal formations or something. To be quite honest it looks like something out of a horror movie.

I've attached a picture, but its quite hard to see because he hangs out in the fry corner with all the rest of them. It's easier to see in the reflection. Does anyone know what this could be? None of the other fish have anything like it on them.

maycausedeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:29 PM   #2 
aemaki09

Not sure what it could be, but if she hasn't added any new guppies to the tank in a while then it could be caused by so much inbreeding.
Guppie siblings should never be allowed to be bred together because its likely they'll have deformations, sibling to parent isnt so bad though..
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:12 PM   #3 
maycausedeath

The last time guppies were added was 2005

She did put in two nerites a few months ago but they were from a friends tank and had been in there for quite a while.

It's definitely possible it's inbreeding, everything in the tank came from 7 guppy parents. I've seen a few spinal mutations in her tank, but never anything like this. Could inbreeding cause something this bizarre?
maycausedeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:05 PM   #4 
aemaki09

I think it could.
It causes extra limbs in frogs and cows on occasion, I don't see why it couldnt do that.
I would remove some of those guppies an get some fresh genes in there if she wants to continue to keep the guppies healthy.
It's been nearly 8 years, everyone in that tank has got to be related really closely by now
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote