Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-10-2013, 03:01 PM   #1 
Aside

easy fish suggestions

So I was showing my dad's girlfriend my betta and she expressed interest in getting her own fish tank. I recommended she get a betta but I think she wants to get a couple fish. She wants something pretty low maintenance I think. I don't think she really knows all that goes into a fish tank but I think she will be willing to learn before she gets a fish. She loves animals and I trust her to do well by them.

She is away from home sometimes so needs a fish that can go at least 3-4 days without food (again, I recommended a betta). I don't think she wants to set up a huge tank, probably a 5.5 or 10 gallon.

She seems to really want blue fish.

Any recommendations?
Aside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:05 PM   #2 
Hopelessaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aside View Post
So I was showing my dad's girlfriend my betta and she expressed interest in getting her own fish tank. I recommended she get a betta but I think she wants to get a couple fish. She wants something pretty low maintenance I think. I don't think she really knows all that goes into a fish tank but I think she will be willing to learn before she gets a fish. She loves animals and I trust her to do well by them.

She is away from home sometimes so needs a fish that can go at least 3-4 days without food (again, I recommended a betta). I don't think she wants to set up a huge tank, probably a 5.5 or 10 gallon.

She seems to really want blue fish.

Any recommendations?
First fish that came to mind was the common Goldfish. They are hardy, can last for days without food, and are pretty low-maintenance when you come to think of it.

However, you said she wanted blue. Now my mind has gone blank. Sorry.
Hopelessaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:08 PM   #3 
Aside

I was thinking goldfish (I might be able to persuade her off the blue) but don't they need 70+ gallons once they grow? And one fancy needs like 20 gallons, right? I don't know much about goldfish. I had three when I was little but they lived in a kritter keeper. I was eight.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:10 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

Not to be rude, but the common goldfish is a bad choice. (Any goldfish, really) They produce so much ammonia, and can live more than 20 years! They also need 100+ gallons, unless you go for fancies which need 20G and then 10G for each additional one.. Please don't get a goldfish.. They need a lot of food anyway. Go to our mother site, tropicalfishkeeping.com and then search at the "Tropical Fish Profiles". There's a lot to choose over there, you might wanna look.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:11 PM   #5 
LebronTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aside View Post
I was thinking goldfish (I might be able to persuade her off the blue) but don't they need 70+ gallons once they grow? And one fancy needs like 20 gallons, right? I don't know much about goldfish. I had three when I was little but they lived in a kritter keeper. I was eight.
Correct. The bigger you can get, the better.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:15 PM   #6 
Aside

I'm looking around. I'll check out the parent site. I just wanted to ask you guys because everyone on this site has been so helpful to me and my blunders getting into betta keeping.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:25 PM   #7 
eatmice2010

Or you can take a 10g put a divider in it and have two bettas :D
eatmice2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:28 PM   #8 
Hopelessaddict101

You can get really little goldfish that only grow up to, like, an inch..
I'm not sure though. They were the easiest fish I've ever had. :)
Old 01-10-2013, 03:36 PM   #9 
LebronTheBetta

0.0 All types grow over 4 feet. What did you keep your goldfish in, exactly?
If it was a small tank then the enclosed space must've stopped him from growing. You know, stunt hormones and poo.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:42 PM   #10 
Hopelessaddict101

I'm not sure if you get them there. But you can actually get full sized adult ones that are only around an inch here... and I had quite a few of them in a 300L :)

I'll try find out the name. Maybe it is a strain that a breeder here had started...

Last edited by Hopelessaddict101; 01-10-2013 at 03:47 PM.