Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-13-2013, 06:11 PM   #1 
AyalaCookiejar

Angry The problem with people, not bettas - rant

So I posted this in my journal but I want to post this here as its own thread because I am so incredibly irritated.

I just got three of my females for my future sorority and all are being QTed in one gallon tanks. I'm getting so sick of people asking me, "so when are you going to release them into the same tank?" They look at my girls for one second then ask that. It's not just one person and its the same people over and over. I'm getting irritated with having to explain, over and over, that they need to be QTed and I need more than three girls and its just NOT that simple.

It's irritating because that's everyone's problem with bettas. They think they are such boring fish because they can't be housed together. IMO if you can't appreciate one single fish in a tank, then you don't deserve to appreciate more than one in a tank together. This is the issue with people not QTing fish before putting them in a tank, or researching the tank size needed or which ones can be housed together. No one cares as long as they can have a whole bunch of fish in the same tank. Just...... Euurrg!!!!

So infuriating. Learn to appreciate life for once.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:22 PM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

The first thing I used to get asked when I kept splendens by the most surprising of people (people I had always assumed were avid animal lovers) was when I was going to fight my males for fun.

Usually when I told them very coldly that my fish cost over $50 each and were very beloved pets they would shut-up and not mention it again.

People are pretty stupid. Particularly when fish are involved as to most people they are a cheap, replaceable pet that is happy to live its life in the toxic confines of a fish bowl.

My dad is like that. He hates that I have all these 'small' fish that have to live separate from each other. Unfortunately, I am never going to be able to change his mind. I just have to grit my teeth and try not to strangle him with his own bloated ignorance.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:44 PM   #3 
AyalaCookiejar

I have never had anyone ask me that. Maybe Betta fighting is more common where you live?

I don't think my parents are super ecstatic about any of my pets but they know I'd go out of my way to save any type of life (except spiders. They freak me out but I do try to leave them alone.) I've tried saving animals like birds, rabbits, frogs, caterpillars, lady bugs... You name it. We found a dead baby bird in our yard once and I buried it and have it a funeral and a headstone. I don't think anyone who knows me even slightly would make a comment like that. I'm just one of those people who cries in a movie when a dog dies but is totally unphased when countless humans die.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:41 AM   #4 
majesticstorm

Agreed. Just today my roommate's friend came over. When he saw that I had a fish tank, he rushed over to take a look, didn't even acknowledge me (kind of rude, but whatevers). He asked if there was a fish in there. I said that there was. He saw Rain and was like, "Oh, it's a betta fish" and walked away as though he thought that bettas are boring. I was a bit offended, you know...JUST A BIT.

It is quite frustrating how people have these misconceptions about bettas, and don't even bother to do research to see if they're true or not.

I think that a lot of people think that they're "just fish" which are stupid creatures meant for decoration, which is quite sad. My parents thought so too until just recently, but I think I've managed to change their opinions just a bit when Rain stayed with them during winter break. They saw how he recognizes me and swims over when he sees me, and now think that he's my baby. They don't really get upset of scold me for buying things for Rain, even when I told them I had IAL shipped over from Singapore. They actually asked me what its uses were and what properties it had and seemed genuinely interested. As opposed to before, where they would probably say, "it's just a fish, why are you spending so much money on it?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
I don't think anyone who knows me even slightly would make a comment like that. I'm just one of those people who cries in a movie when a dog dies but is totally unphased when countless humans die.
That's totally me. I always wonder, "is it strange that I feel practically nothing for human suffering and yet get all worked up over a dog that was cruelly abused?" Although, I think that seeing the abused dog reminds me of how cruel humans can truly be to innocent creatures so my sympathy for them decreases.

Last edited by majesticstorm; 01-14-2013 at 01:45 AM.
majesticstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:02 AM   #5 
AyalaCookiejar

I don't mean to sound or be heartless when I say that. It makes me sound like I have no compassion for human life, which is kind of true to an extent. I don't mean to not care, I'm just... Wired that way. I guess that's probably how it is with some people and animals, though.

The way I see it is this... When I watch a movie and it gets me to some extent emotionally attached to a character, I will likely cry if they are killed or experience sadness (like losing someone close to them). If its a random character who dies, I feel nothing. But with a dog dying in a movie, I always cry. I guess with animals I have an instant connection. It's like they do not sin, they have never done a thing and they are all innocent by nature. With humans, they are not innocent until proven otherwise by their actions. I see people as sinners, and for the most part, all guilty of greed and thinking they are better than all other forms of life until their actions show otherwise, where as animals do not possess the capabilities or mindsets to make them anything other than living creatures with the instinct to survive. Dogs have that loyalty that most animals including humans don't possess, but no other animal besides humans have that ego that I guess we are cursed with.

Our instincts are to survive. Our wants are to have technology and make life easier for us and have that entertainment... Those wants are what are destroying these innocent animals habitats and what are forcing them to do unnatural things for our entertainment (like dog fighting or Betta fish fighting, circuses, etc, etc...) they are, for the most part, loyal to us. They don't know the difference, but we should.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:08 AM   #6 
AyalaCookiejar

Oh, and I found this on tumblr about half an hour ago. It made me cry.
Quote:
“It is in loving a creature we know can never love us back with the same expression that we are human; we give love and understand it is good: it is kind; we love for the sake of loving”
Old 01-14-2013, 03:12 AM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

Just be content knowing you're doing what's best for your females. You want to make sure everyone is healthy and will be ready when the time comes to put them together.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:27 AM   #8 
RoMay

I'll come loose, someone I know is a betta fighter. This I learned from showing him the picture of Kaoru. Which he said she's useless and should have been feed to the paranas (yes seriously). He went to keep blabbering on how to make her more agressive if I wanted to fight her. Apperently males arn't the only ones fought. He went on and on about his cousins and what happened to losing bettas. The only reason why I didn't tell him not to shut up was I was so close to punching his lights out.

If you are going to have bettas they should be your babies. If you're going to take your time and properly QT your bettas go for it. Let no one bother you when you are trying to do the right thing. It's better then having 3 seemingly healthy bettas then discover someone has something contagious that didn't show up sooner.

Thinking about it is it kind of ironic those people who cry over animal abuse yet have their bettas in prison cells? I know I am not innocent and I have done my share of wrong. But if you you done a wrong it is up to you as a pet owner to fix it.

The problem is not just with people, it's with culture.
RoMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:33 AM   #9 
Myates

When I first started keeping bettas my boyfriend didn't think much of them.. thought of them as goldfish in dixie cups, and he hates goldfish.

Until he fell in love with an orange dalmation I brought home and ended up stealing him from me.

Now 18+ months later he had spent $1500 on a breeding set up + fish for me and has stolen a couple girls from me as well lol.

He still jokes about them able to live happily in a dixie cup (as he is planning elaborate tanks for his girls right now)..

I'm just glad he had a change of heart - well, at least for the 3 he fell for, otherwise I don't think I would be where I am now with all the ones I have.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:21 PM   #10 
carbonxxkidd

I know what you mean, my mom thought I was crazy for getting females and then though I was nuts when I left them float in their cups for a few days. I probaly should have quarantined them longer but they all were pretty healthy when I got them and a month later they are still healthy. My mom is definitely more appreciative now though, she is always commenting on how beautiful my tank and girls look, and mentioned how pretty my CT male has gotten the other day. She said she wanted to get an EE betta and put it in a vase on her kitchen counter...I told her she needed to get a heated tank for it, and then she could. LOL. She has admitted that my bettas are all way better looking than the one's you usually see, and that is basically because they are in heated, clean tanks. It is really hard when people get these misconceptions about bettas from seeing the tiny cups/tanks and never seeing them housed together - I will admit I'd never thought of even dividing a tank before I found this forum! My sorority is probably my favorite tank now though, and my girls are so bright and fun to watch.

Also, I cry at puppy food commercials. THEY AREN'T EVEN SAD, lol. I get way more emotionally attached to animals than people though, my animals are my life.
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote