Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-13-2013, 05:34 PM   #1 
WhiskeyHands

Question Leakage?

Couple Questions:

I've added water to an aquarium and let it like that for couple hours and there was no water beneath the aquarium. So, i've added some more water and i see water beneath it. Does that mean it is leaking? P.s ive been handling stuff in the aquarium a lot so might be spilled water but you know what i mean!

If it really is leaking, is that bad for the fish or just bad as it will spill water?
WhiskeyHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:38 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Dry it off and leave it, like don't even go near it for a hour or two. If its wet after that, it's probably leaking unless its filled to the brim. And it has no effect on the fish.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:41 PM   #3 
WhiskeyHands

i dried it yesterday as there was some after i added some water and let it for the night. Woke up, there was nothing. And now theres water again after i added more water, gravel, decorations and the fish
Old 01-13-2013, 05:41 PM   #4 
WhiskeyHands

plus it is a used tank so idk
Old 01-13-2013, 05:52 PM   #5 
LizzyP

I wouldn't use it. If it is cracked the weight of water (and water is HEAVY, about 8 pounds per US gallon) and the split gets bigger you can have a huge mess. Water + electricity= no good. Plus, if it splits really bad overnight and you don't find out until the next morning your fish might die from no water. :/
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:32 PM   #6 
WhiskeyHands

damn it, what to do what to do. The thing is im not sure whether is really is leaking
Old 01-13-2013, 08:45 PM   #7 
ILLBETHEJUDGE

Dry everything up, if you find water after this, tank is leaking, resealing the tank is easy.
ILLBETHEJUDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:02 AM   #8 
Gryphon

I'll echo what everyone else said. Take everything out of the tank, fill it up, dry everything off outside/around the tank (no drops anywhere!) and let it sit undisturbed for 24 hours.

It's possible that when you are moving things around it is just splashing water around. However, let it sit for 24 hours to make sure it isn't leaking. It'll be a big mess if it actually is!
Gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:10 AM   #9 
WhiskeyHands

just a question about all this, if i remove everything and let sit for 24 hours, do i let my fish in there or where should i keep them for the 24h? It is my only coldwater tank, all the others are tropicals
Old 01-15-2013, 11:17 AM   #10 
aemaki09

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyHands View Post
just a question about all this, if i remove everything and let sit for 24 hours, do i let my fish in there or where should i keep them for the 24h? It is my only coldwater tank, all the others are tropicals
You should remove them. If it is leaking it could easily burst, or spring an even larger leak and you will end up with both a ruined tank and dead fish. If possible put them into a different tank, or QT, bowls, even unused Tupperware containers till you can figure out if the tank is really leaking or not
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote