Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-14-2013, 05:38 AM   #1 
eatmice2010

Yellow Situation

My water has turned yellow!!!! I have had two pieces of drift wood sitting in a bucket with daily water changes for about two weeks. Well i did my 75% water change for my 10g and while doing that i thought i would clean my tank and add the drift wood. Well the water was murky yesterday, like usual after i clean it and when the water settled, it was yellow. Does anyone know how to get rid of the yellow tint ( I would like to be able to keep the wood in the tank.)
eatmice2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:43 AM   #2 
MollyJean

Depending on the wood, it could tent your water for years to come, no matter how much you boil it, soak it or otherwise.

The fish love it, sure, but some people don't. I've never tried to remove it, as I like the effect. Sorry.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:47 AM   #3 
MSG

Soaking d-wood in water for two weeks will do little to NOTHING.

You will have to slowly simmer the wood slowly for a couple days to pull out some of the tannins.
  • Post a picture of the wood itself. Certain types will take longer to treat than others & some of the ones used in reptile tanks are the worst
You have to be patient with the treatment otherwise you can be dealing with unwanted color changes in your tank for a very long time.

The only thing you can do now is REMOVE the wood & change out all the water.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:48 AM   #4 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

If you can fit it in a pot of water and boil the wood a few times this speeds up the tannins leeching a ton.
Otherwise putting activated carbon in the filter should help (though if you have live plants I wouldn't as carbon will also absorb nutrients the plants use).
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:09 PM   #5 
eatmice2010

Ok so i tried my own experiment, instead of boiling or treating it i decided to take them out and see which one was making it yellow, and it worked
Before

After
Old 01-14-2013, 03:58 PM   #6 
Kytkattin

Is that a goldfish in that tank? A goldfish is WAY to big and has much to high of a bio-load to house with a betta in a 10 gallon tank, or really even be by itself in a 10 gallon tank. Not to mention that most goldfish are cold water fish, and even the fancy ones still do best in a range outside of what a betta is comfortable in (70-75 for goldfish, 76-82 for betta).
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:29 PM   #7 
eatmice2010

Yes that is a gold fish- to be exact he/she is white and skin toned with i little bit of a fancy tail. I got him/her about two years ago from my friend, which she kept him/her in a 2.5g for 5 years. When i got him/her was under feed and on the brink of death. It has been two years he/she has not grown and inch nor a centimeter since the day i got him/her. My tank never gets high in ammonia and pH. It stays perfect.

Also she/he is only a centimeter longer that my betta from head to the end of there tails. But having a long tail fin doesn't help when trying to measure him/her.

Last edited by eatmice2010; 01-14-2013 at 04:33 PM.