Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-14-2013, 01:42 PM   #1 
Mirage23

Smile First Time Breeding

I have been thinking about breeding for a very long time and I think that I am going to do it. I've been wanting to do it for a very long time so I am very excited about finally being able to do it. I have read everything there was on the Breeding sticky and it was wonderful information although there are some questions I still have. I have also watched several YouTube videos on spawning and culturing microworms (as well as hatching brine shrimp). I have Indian Almond Leaves ordered and I will order a microworm culture this week or next.
Here is my plan and please correct me or give me any advice you have based on experience .

I will have a 10 gallon tank filled up part way with a heater and sponge filter set up. Question: could I put plants in it?. It will have a hiding spot for my girl as well. I will introduce them for 2 hours or so for 2 weeks prior to spawning and increase the viewing time the second week. Question: should I put my male in the new 10 gallon tank so he can build his bubble nest?. I have a breeders net I was planning on using. They will be fed frozen brine shrimp (they love those things). Hopefully my pair will work and if they do yay! if not... darn. Once they do their thing and all is done I will remove the female and leave the male behind to be a daddy. I've read that I shouldnt feed him at this time, what do you think? when the fry are free swimming it's time to take daddy out and start feeding the fry. I will probably alternate between BBS and MW. When should I start adding more water into the tank? I've read to separate the males once they start fighting with each other or at least separate the aggressive fry. Is this a good idea? If I were to separate them I was told that it's good to exercise them with a mirror so that they grow better, is this true?

I understand that I might have to cull some of them so I wanted to ask you fellow breeders out there how you do it?

I'm first going to try to find them a home but I understand some fry need to be culled. What sort of signs should I look for that say Hey you should unfortunately cull that poor thing or it'll suffer.

Why do you as a breeder cull and how do you do it?

I hope these questions make sense

Please feel free to share with me your experience with your first spawn and how you've improved or things that may help me along the way.

Thank you everyone!
Mirage23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:11 PM   #2 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage23 View Post
I have been thinking about breeding for a very long time and I think that I am going to do it. I've been wanting to do it for a very long time so I am very excited about finally being able to do it. I have read everything there was on the Breeding sticky and it was wonderful information although there are some questions I still have. I have also watched several YouTube videos on spawning and culturing microworms (as well as hatching brine shrimp). I have Indian Almond Leaves ordered and I will order a microworm culture this week or next.
Breeding can be fun - but keep in mind the cost of setting it up, maintaining it and the hours per day needed to care for them. It is very rewarding though once you have your first spawn raised.
Here is my plan and please correct me or give me any advice you have based on experience .

I will have a 10 gallon tank filled up part way with a heater and sponge filter set up. Question: could I put plants in it?.
Yes, live plants will help maintain water quality as well as help give the newborn fry some munchies for the first day or two. They can also provide the cover for your female. I prefer floating plants, and plants that can be either/or floating/planted.
It will have a hiding spot for my girl as well. I will introduce them for 2 hours or so for 2 weeks prior to spawning and increase the viewing time the second week. Question: should I put my male in the new 10 gallon tank so he can build his bubble nest?.
Not needed.. normally people will place the male and female in at the same time, some will place the male in there about 30 minutes prior. But since the male and female will be separated at the beginning, that will give him time to build a nest.
I have a breeders net I was planning on using.
May be a bit difficult to set that up in a tank with only 3-4" of water, so have a clean jar or oil lamp chimney available to use as instead if needed. I use the oil lamp glass tops to separate as I just have to lift out and it won't bother the nest or cause a current.
They will be fed frozen brine shrimp (they love those things). Hopefully my pair will work and if they do yay! if not... darn.
Virgins can be a pain, and can take longer to breed. Not all mind you, but some.. I've been working on a virgin girl (she is with a very experienced male) for over a month now trying to get her to breed. So I would look for another pair just in case the one you have won't cut out.. sometimes they just don't like each other.
Once they do their thing and all is done I will remove the female and leave the male behind to be a daddy. I've read that I shouldnt feed him at this time, what do you think?
Some feed during the whole process, some don't. It's up to the individual fish - some males won't touch food while they are nesting, others devour it.
when the fry are free swimming it's time to take daddy out and start feeding the fry. I will probably alternate between BBS and MW. When should I start adding more water into the tank?
After 5-7 days people will drip new water in the tank using the drip method (has to be very slowly when adding in new water)..
I've read to separate the males once they start fighting with each other or at least separate the aggressive fry. Is this a good idea?
You will want to move them into their grow out tank as they get bigger/too big in their spawn tank. That will give them a bit more room and hopefully they will last longer before having to be separated. But it's not uncommon to start separating them from 6 week on. Always prepare for 100+ males to be separated into their own jars - doesn't mean you will have that many, but you will want to be prepared. Best to remove the aggressive ones as soon as they start fighting to avoid injuries.
If I were to separate them I was told that it's good to exercise them with a mirror so that they grow better, is this true?
I never heard that.. but a good flaring once a day is healthy for them.. most breeders will remove the cards between their containers once or twice a day and they will flare at one another for their exercise.

I understand that I might have to cull some of them so I wanted to ask you fellow breeders out there how you do it?
Some use large fish such as oscars.. I have clove oil to use..

I'm first going to try to find them a home but I understand some fry need to be culled. What sort of signs should I look for that say Hey you should unfortunately cull that poor thing or it'll suffer.
Bent spines, deformities.. if you are needing to cull to a smaller amount then you can look at fin shapes/colors and judge off of what you are wanting and cull the ones that aren't what you are looking for.

Why do you as a breeder cull and how do you do it?
Don't want to raise a deformed fish.. unfair to the poor thing. Also some people can't maintain a few hundred babies/juveniles so they cut back to be able to properly care for the remaining.

I hope these questions make sense

Please feel free to share with me your experience with your first spawn and how you've improved or things that may help me along the way.

Thank you everyone!
It's a learning experience, and you won't really know until you get your hands wet. There are a lot of ups and downs.. lots of patience is needed. Find out what you are wanting to create - tail style, color, etc and work on that. Experimenting on colors can be fun as well.. this is something that you can have fun with, or be serious with and feel rewarded either way you go about it.

Good luck with everything!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:11 PM   #3 
BettaBaited

IME it's easiest to feed the culls to a bigger fish. I have a friend with a Jack Dempsey. It's quick & (I hope) painless, as long as the bigger fish can swallow the culls whole. I know someone takes theirs to the lfs to feed to the Oscars. I've never had to cull adult fish... and hope I never will.
BettaBaited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:05 PM   #4 
Mirage23

Thank you so much Myates that was extremely helpful! I'm super excited to breed hopefully in a month or so. I have a couple pairs but I have one that I REALLY want to work out but we'll see. Right now I want to work on finnage and I'm excited to experiment with them. I have emptied out an area for 100+ jars if I need it. I love the interesting colors on the betta you have as your profile pic. Is it yours? Again Thank you :) If I were to decided to use clove oil, how would I do that with fry? I imagine the dosage is probably smaller right?

BettaBaited: If I were to decide to use bigger fish to cull, what fish would actually eat them whole? I hope I dont have to cull adult fish either. I dont see why I would have to but we'll see I guess.

Hopefully others will share their experience. I love learning more about these fish and their beautiful stories. Thanks again to you both!
Old 01-14-2013, 03:13 PM   #5 
Myates

Make sure you are able to keep those jars heated at 80*+ :)

Put a drop or two into a larger cup and stir it real good (I have a 32oz plastic deli containter with lid for this purpose).. usually they are knocked out right after being placed in it.. then add in a few more drops, or can place them in the freezer - will be knocked out so shouldn't feel anything.

And yes, she is mine :) Looking for a male to compliment her, right now all I have that could take her on (her size + aggression) is a big red boy.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:55 PM   #6 
Mirage23

Thank you :) I was also wondering if it was necessary to cover the top of the tank with seran wrap or some thing to keep it warm and humid inside. would it still work if I poked holes in it so there's oxygen?
Old 01-14-2013, 05:22 PM   #7 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

It is often suggested to cover the tank so that the fry are warm and humid, which helps prevent pneumonia when they develop their labyrinth.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:00 PM   #8 
Mirage23

That's crazy they can get pneumonia! Awesome fun fact tho haha. Another question for all you awesome breeders, How do you keep all those jars warm? I've heard of using Zoo Med Repti Cable. Have any of you tried that?
Old 01-14-2013, 09:00 PM   #9 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Most.breeders keep their whole fish room warm.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:44 PM   #10 
Mirage23

wouldn't that be unstable tho?