Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-14-2013, 02:12 PM   #1 
SomethingWitty

Why won't my new little guy eat?

I bought Amephyre Saturday.
I know that it can take a couple days for them to get accustomed to their new home, and it's been 2 days already.
I've tried to feed him flakes and bloodworms, but he won't eat anything.
He seems very healthy otherwise.
Also he is very timid. Everytime I approach the tank he darts away and hides. I really wish he was a more social fish, but I just want to make sure everything is ok!
SomethingWitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:16 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Is your tank heated, filtered, what size? Was it properly cycled before adding the new fish? It has only been 2 days, keep going to the tank so he can see you, stand or sit next to it so he can see you do it frequently if possible for several minutes at a time, he will begin to respond. As for feeding, get a quality pellet such as New Life Spectrum, offer a pellet once a day to see if he'll eat it, if he does great offer him another one, if not try again the next day. Patience.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:22 PM   #3 
SomethingWitty

It is heated - the temp is 79 right now. 5 gallon. I don't have a filter because I do 100% water changes every week with a 50% water change mid-week. I'm actually waiting for my sponge filter I ordered from Amazon. I cleaned, disinfected, and filled the tank Sunday night along with adding stress coat and a water conditioner. He didn't go in the tank until 6pm Saturday, and I had acclimated him. The food is Omega One, but maybe he is a pellet kind of guy so I'll have to go buy that. Hopefully he is just still adjusting!
Old 01-14-2013, 10:11 PM   #4 
sainthogan

Generally pellets are better for bettas than flakes, and if he's anything like my male, he'll refuse to eat anything but pellets. Mine will actually swim to a corner and sulk if I try to feed him flakes.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:43 PM   #5 
SomethingWitty

Lol okay I didn't realize bettas could be so particular!
Old 01-15-2013, 01:06 PM   #6 
carbonxxkidd

My newest betta refused to eat pellets for the first week I had him. He didn't eat at all for 2-3 days, and then started accepting frozen brine shrimp. He also ate live daphnia I offered. I've had him almost 2 weeks now and he'll eat anything! He also seemed afraid of the food, but he was pretty sickly when I got him. I'm sure yours will start eating soon!
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:30 PM   #7 
SomethingWitty

I sure hope so! I'll just keep offering hiim what I have for right now until I get paid.
D:
Old 01-16-2013, 10:22 AM   #8 
OmegaHaze

'I NEED HELP! i have a Delta Tale Male his name is omega i got him yesterday and set up his tank is divided with another betta fish that is veiltail named Haze. Well i acclimated them to their tank they have a plant each and a little cave thing too. The tank is heated. and not yet filtered as i am looking to get a new one that wont stress them out as much due to the flow. Haze is eating all the food i gave him in like 2 seconds. omega on the other hand hasnt touched his food but is just floating there watching me as i type this and do some things in my room. Is it him just getting used to his surroundings or what. I feed them TetraBetta Floating Mini Pellets. What do i do!
OmegaHaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:56 PM   #9 
SomethingWitty

My fish is dead.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:07 PM   #10 
carbonxxkidd

Oh no! I'm so sorry :(
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote