Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-27-2013, 10:45 AM   #21 
maycausedeath

Woke up this morning to see that he had pooped. It was the same color as the pellets but stringy. His stomach looks to be about the same size I think, I'll try to get a picture up sometime today. There does appear to be greyish discoloration near his face.

Regarding tuberculosis, I do not feed live or frozen food if that makes a difference for the probability of internal parasites. Reading about tuberculosis in fish it seems that many people say once symptoms show they cannot be cured. In the case that it is marine tb are there any precautions I should take beside washing my hands with hot + soapy water?
maycausedeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:00 PM   #22 
callistra

I suggest aquarium safe gloves if you can find them, and if not then just hot water and lots of soap... make sure you don't transfer the soap back to the tank though.

Well.. if he's pooping same color as the pellets and fasting for 4 days and seeing the poop hasn't changed his appearance then I would say it's safe to say it's not just normal constipation.

Other things to consider is it may just be a tumor but considering how skinny he is otherwise.. I think Metro and Prazi together would likely get rid of any parasites (what one doesn't touch the other should take care of so it's a pretty well rounded approach).. he's been on it for like 2 weeks right? So I'm going to say not the problem here :(
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:33 PM   #23 
maycausedeath

I doubt that it is a tumor due to the size and how quickly it grew. It is all below and around his stomach area. The two things that give me hope it isn't tb are the size and the fact no more lumps have occurred, and that he is still eating. The lump is definitely still more prominent on one side and the scales are still raised. Also I see air bubbles come from his gills every now and then and he seems to be holding a gill open because of the size of the lump.

So at this point should I stop soaking the pellets with general cure? I think he may be reluctant to go back to boring old omega one.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:42 PM   #24 
callistra

He's been on GC 2 weeks right? You would have seen some positive change at this point if it was going to work after 2 weeks.. Sorry. :(

I'm not really sure why he loves the medicated pellets so much.. are you soaking them in garlic guard? That may be why not the meds.

I would switch to antibiotic bath + vitachem. Kanaplex or Kanaplex + furan 2.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:56 PM   #25 
maycausedeath

Alright, I'll discontinue it tonight. I am not using garlic guard. I may continue to feed him wheat pellets if he likes them so much, don't want to deny him the pleasure if it is near the end of his life.

A quick check of petco + petsmart website shows that neither stock kanaplex, but I have found it on ebay shipping from NY. Do think it would be fresh or should I try to find another source?
Old 01-27-2013, 02:30 PM   #26 
callistra

I would not continue to feed the wheat pellets without a soak. I'd be afraid of creating constipation issues. You can look for some New Life Spectrum Betta or Thera A 1mm (don't get the bigger ones they do have some large ones.. or you could crush up the big ones too into smaller bits I suppose) to try because they're loaded up on garlic and he will probably love them. Petco carries them both, or at least my local one does. The Thera A have some fruit and veggie extract and my fish tend to pass them too quickly imho so I only feed the thera A once or twice a week because they seem to be working like a laxative on mine but they sure do help with bloating if there is any other underlying issue here around constipation.

You can get kanaplex, furan 2 and vitachem all here: http://www.drsfostersmith.com It also has Thera A

I can also ship kanaplex to you, possibly faster. I don't know about vitachem being in stock atm and Furan 2 I have to drive an hour for, but I have to ship out metro and focus to another forum member today anyway so I'm headed to the pet store w/ the kanaplex right now. If you want me to get you some pm me with an address I can use.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:55 PM   #27 
maycausedeath

Sent you a pm, thank you so much.

I checked that website a while ago actually, it says they won't have kanaplex until early feb. I'll be on the look out for NLS and vitachem when I go to the store next. Is there anything else I can do for him at this point? Should I be do more or less frequent water changes? I don't want to stress him and accelerate it.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:42 PM   #28 
callistra

Got your pm. Will ship tomorrow once the post opens.

Remind me what kind of water changes you are doing now? I know there are plants and you have a filter but it's a small tank. Do you have any way to test? You don't want him to see any ammonia but maybe twice weekly 50% changes are enough with the plants and the filter. This should not be stressful if it is enough, as long as you replace the water with same temp water.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:59 PM   #29 
maycausedeath

A 75% weekly in the 2.5. I have no way to test right now. My concern is that I have to cup him because he follows the vacuum and tries to swim into it. I could try without removing him, his behavior might be different with this.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:05 PM   #30 
callistra

I'd try 50% twice weekly with leaving him in the tank but I would really highly suggest finding an ammonia drops test kit. If he can't be trusted the leave the vacuum alone though then he may need to be cupped.