Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-14-2013, 07:37 PM   #1 
BettaPirate

Thoughts on this 10 gallon kit?

I have read a few reviews on this tank but wondered what you all thought. I am thinking of investing in it but don't want to waste the money if I'll just need to get another tank in a few months.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Aquacultur...-Pets/10312734
BettaPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:48 PM   #2 
AyalaCookiejar

I've got two of this brand of 5 gallon tanks. The tank itself is standard. I've not had experience with the filter but I'm sure it needs to be baffled. The only think I find concerning is the hood, since it is incandescent. It would be okay if you don't want live plants but I personally dislike incandescent lights as your fish's true colors don't really show in incandescent lighting... Of course they could be replaced with fluorescent bulbs but I am almost positive that the guards on the lights won't be that great and you will likely need to use something to protect them from condensation from the water.

I've noticed that a lot of hoods are all exactly the same. My brother gave me a used ten gallon tank but the incandescent hood it had stopped working an I had to purchase a fluorescent hood that costed me $35. Also, the only two hoods I found were either exactly like the incandescent hood on the used tank he gave me or exactly like the fluorescent hood he has on HIS tank.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:56 PM   #3 
BettaPirate

thanks, I'll keep that in mind. Right now my debate is to keep my two smaller tanks running and save for a fancy 10 gallon or just get a medium range 10 gallon now and split it to save on water changes and the mount of plugs I have in one outlet.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:06 PM   #4 
Bounce

I have two of these also, but the 10 gallon size. My betta is in one and I was so satisfied with it, I bought a second one to use as my quarantine tank for new fish before they go into my big tank. I just keep it stored in the box along with it's own filter, heater, and thermometer and break it all out when needed.

I believe they did come with incandescent lights, but I just opted to buy fluorescent bulbs and use those instead and have not had any problems. I like the filter that comes with it too. You can cover the intake with pantyhose to protect fins (or I suppose you could use a sponge) and to slow the flow, just raise the intake tube slightly.

If you're just wanting a standard tank, I don't think you can go wrong for the price.
Bounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:21 PM   #5 
Armyguy03

Yup, I have this exact tank, picked it up from the store. I had to buy a heater and wanted a better filter (but its suitable). My guy loves it, and I have no complaints. Check the store if you can, it might be cheaper (possible sale). It does come with the bulbs too, but those can be changed out for higher quality. I never turn my lights on because its reflection overload and Brad Pitt goes a little whacky.
Armyguy03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:33 PM   #6 
BettaPirate

I'll keep an eye out for sales :) There is a $20 10 gallon kit but it got HORRIBLE reviews, this one got pretty good reviews and I can always upgrade things like the light bulbs and filter later when I have more money. I also saw online that they had this heater on super sale, is Tetra any good?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tetra-Subm...-Pets/12177657
Old 01-14-2013, 08:36 PM   #7 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Well it's a good price with good reviews so go for it! It kind of disturbs me that it is advertised towards goldfish though.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:38 PM   #8 
BettaPirate

yeah, dumb, I saw a 1 gallon tank targeted to goldfish!!!!
Old 01-14-2013, 08:42 PM   #9 
AyalaCookiejar

Tetra heaters suck and they aren't adjustable. I have four Hydor Theo heaters for all four of my tanks.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:45 PM   #10 
BettaPirate

thanks for letting me know, I don't want to waste money in a heater that I will have to replace! I think my little 7.5 preset one just stopped working, luckily I had a spare laying around so Jack Sparrow doesn't freeze!