Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-12-2013, 09:33 AM   #1 
jessp118

The No Clean fish tank?

http://www.nocleanaquariums.com/default.asp

I recently saw this as a commercial on tv. My first thought is that they don't know crap about the betta. They show it only with a betta. After fully looking through the site, I decided that they did their research on bettas. They say you could add a heater but i see no space for the heater. I would think that this would be better for pet stores since you can keep it clean really easy and they dont take up and enormous amount of space.

I was thinking of getting one to try it out. So would you buy this for your betta?

jessp118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:40 AM   #2 
registereduser

Nope, too tall and skinny. it would prolly make Tailbiters out of any bettas.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:55 AM   #3 
eatmice2010

1+ registereduser
eatmice2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:07 AM   #4 
jessp118

Here is a little quote from their FAQ.

Quote:
Is a half-gallon too small for my Betta?

Thereís a lot of controversy surrounding aquarium size for Betta fish. Adding to the confusion is that many manufacturerís make half-gallon Betta tanks, and most provide a lousy home. Thatís why we built a better one! You see, the #1 problem with half-gallon tanks is that the small water volume pollutes quickly and becomes unsafe for fish. This happens because most people donít clean their aquariums enough. Our system makes the cleaning quick and painless. A clean half-gallon is a much better home than an aquarium 10 times its size thatís not properly maintained. Like most things in life, itís the water quality, not quantity thatís most important.

Betta donít swim around a lot and donít need much space to be happy. They like to float and hover in the water. As you see in our video and pictures, this aquarium provides plenty of room for your Betta fish to swim and play. Weíve had our fish for well over a year in a variety of half-gallon prototypes. They are awesome, beautiful, happy and healthy fish! Bottom line: Activate the self-cleaning system regularly, provide good food and some love and your fish will thrive in this aquarium just like ours are thriving!
Old 01-12-2013, 10:16 AM   #5 
eatmice2010

That is ridiculous "not quantity that’s most important &
Betta don’t swim around a lot and don’t need much space to be happy. They like to float and hover in the water"
they don't like to live in that small of a tank and just float and hover, i dont no about you all but my bettas quite active, those people make me sick.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:24 AM   #6 
jessp118

From what I read on the site. They plan on making larger tanks. But this one is labled as only fr use of bettas. Now that I look at it more, it is quite small.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:26 AM   #7 
eatmice2010

also i didnt notice this before but the pic were there poring water in the tank that betta is just being toss around
Old 01-12-2013, 10:29 AM   #8 
DragonFish

+1
While at last they have the right idea with promoting water quality....thats still a load of hooey. Water quality is important, yes, but so is quantity. Bettas are a very active and intelligent species, they do need an adequate amount of space to swim, stretch their fins, and explore. Really in something so small, and especially so tall and short, like registereduser mentioned any long-finned betta will easily become a biter.....that is if they're warm enough to do more then just hover around. Its extremely difficult, if not impossible, to properly and stably heat something of that size.

Over all, its really no better then any other half gallon IMO. Just because it makes cleaning a little easier doesn't mean people will clean it more or nearly enough. ;P Plus, I'm a little skeptical about the spout actually removing any poo/debris....but thats probably just my own weird skepticism.
Something larger like a 2.5-5 gallon might be a little more interesting however. I'd be curious to see if that little spout thing actually worked.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:47 AM   #9 
asukabetta

It would be nice if it were bigger, sadly it's not good enough, besides, a tank that needs no cleaning is like the philosopher's stone in the fish keeping world.
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:11 AM   #10 
Laki

No. This tank is manufactured for profit. Another item for the suffering of bettas. Sure, they word their mission pretty effectively: water quality is integral to betta health but the design of their "tank" is just another betta prison. Bettas naturally prefer horizontal surface area, so in their testing it appeared bettas don't swim or move around much.
Put a betta in warm, planted 2.5g and watch how active they are!!! I don't often see my bettas sit still at all.

This tank cannot possibly be safe for any betta or fish if the owner is constantly pouring water into it like that. Bettas are not for kids and .5 gallons is no where near enough water for long term health and longevity.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote