Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-09-2013, 02:02 PM   #1 
puplove52

Guppy with Betta?

Hi everyone I am new to this forum. I would like to know if a betta fish could live peacefully with one guppy.
puplove52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:35 PM   #2 
Kytkattin

Guppys are social fish and need to be kept in schools of 5 or more, so a direct answer to your question would be no.

It should also be noted that anything under 10 gallons should not be shared with anything except shrimp or snails, or another betta if the tank is divided.

Edit: as for the success of people keeping guppies with betta fish, there are dramatically different results. Some bettas will attack the guppies for their flashy colors. So generally, success will depend on the temperament of your betta. If you do decide to try this type of tank is is strongly recommended that you have another tank set up and ready to house either the betta or the guppies as things can go south quite quickly. This might be different for a female betta and guppies, but again, it all comes down to temperament for the individual fish. And of course these fish could all be living together for months and then you come home and the betta has decided to eat everyone else in the tank.

Last edited by Kytkattin; 01-09-2013 at 02:38 PM.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:48 PM   #3 
puplove52

what about an Apple snail?
puplove52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:12 PM   #4 
aemaki09

Apple snail would work, don't recommend guppies though, they are so brightly colored that bettas are pretty likely to attack, I've tred and failed in all my tanks
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:15 PM   #5 
fishy314

Location: I wonder how long and boring this location can be before bettafish.com makes me stop typing this sen
It depends on the bettas and the guppies, apple snails are a yes.
fishy314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:34 AM   #6 
emeraldmaster

no apple snails are on the same boat as the guppies, it is a matter of the betta's personality. I personally have had much success with the guppies, but then again i have a never ending supply in the form of a breeding tank. Out of the 7 betta that i have cared for, only one attacked guppies, he attacked the short finned males which i thought was odd... So simply put, the on;y way to know is to try it. Guppies want a little space an a few friends, like any schooling fish, if you call what they do schooling. And the betta needs room too. I care for a ten gallon at a cousin's house that does have bettas and guppies, fancy ones at that. The two never bother one another. So it is doable, I make her do more water changes though to keep up with the bioload. Sorry for the blabbing, I breed guppies and love bettas, so i had to say my mind.
emeraldmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:42 PM   #7 
ninjaqutie

I was curious about this too. They always say avoid fancy guppies, but I love the colorful guppies. I was wondering if those would be a problem. I guess the bottom line is buy one and try it and if it is okay, then add more?
ninjaqutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:20 PM   #8 
fishy314

Location: I wonder how long and boring this location can be before bettafish.com makes me stop typing this sen
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjaqutie View Post
I was curious about this too. They always say avoid fancy guppies, but I love the colorful guppies. I was wondering if those would be a problem. I guess the bottom line is buy one and try it and if it is okay, then add more?
Monitor them for the first 30 mins or so. Seperate them at the FIRST sign of aggression.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:30 AM   #9 
callistra

Snails are really dirty. Don't suggest you share one in anything less than 10, but for sure 5g
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:32 AM   #10 
fishy314

@above That doesn't make sense, really. How come you can't keep then in a 10 if you can in a 5?