Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-15-2013, 12:53 AM   #1 
dorymomory

Question about Kanaplex

My betta has fin rot (pretty advanced, I'm afraid), and I've been treating him with Kanaplex. I have a couple questions I'm hoping someone can help me with.

1: He's on his second dose, and the instructions say it's a maximum of three doses. I'll be adding the third tomorrow. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the fin rot has slowed down much. If it doesn't slow down after the third dose, what can I do?

2: I noticed a white spot yesterday that looks like fungus on the fin that has the worst of the fin rot. Columnaris? It looks stringy. The kanaplex also says it treats some fungal infections--does anyone know if it will work on this, or should I be treating him with something different?

3: what temperature should I have his water at? I have it raised to 81 (from the normal 78-79) since he's sick, but I've heard that fungal infections can get worse in warmer water.

I already tried conservative treatment with aquarium salt for the fin rot, but no luck.

I've been trying to get a good picture but he's really active right now. I'll see if I can get one up tomorrow. Thank you for any help you can give!

Last edited by dorymomory; 01-15-2013 at 12:56 AM.
dorymomory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:36 AM   #2 
callistra

Kanaplex can be combined with Furan 2 in cases where you have a really stubborn/fast moving infection. You can safely use Kanaplex up to 2 weeks and I would in this case. If you're treating in a small container (like 1-2 gallons) I would do 50%-100% change every other day along with redosing of meds and 100% weekly, or in cases where you're treating in a larger main tank I would do a larger water change at week's end before continuing. I would run carbon when finished to remove (24 hour run should do it)

I wouldn't increase temps with this. It can speed up the infection. Fuzz is either fungus or columnaris and columnaris especially thrives at higher temps. Drop it back below 80

More info would make sure we don't miss anything important: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233 Photos would help too.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:49 PM   #3 
dorymomory

I managed to get a decent picture while I had him in a smaller container for his water change. You can't see all of him and there's an unfortunate drip on the glass in the way, but this gives a good idea of the fin rot on his dorsal fin, and the spot of fungus is right at the base. I don't have the right camera for how fast he moves. The fungus is smaller today, so it looks like that's clearing up.

Housing
What size is your tank? 1 gallon (planning on bigger once I get paid :) )
What temperature is your tank? 79
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? New Life Spectrum Betta Formula
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API Stress Coat

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? no, but I can get it tested if I need to

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Discolored (brownish) sections on his dorsal fin. His tail, which should have a smooth edge, is tattered.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No change
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Fin rot, a week or so ago, fungus on dorsal fin two days ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Kanaplex, which he's on his third dose of.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Tail biting
How old is your fish (approximately)? around a year and a half, I think.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:51 PM   #4 
callistra

It's good you're upgrading his tank. He'll appreciate that. In the meantime, I would increase water changes by adding an extra 50% change mid week. Make sure no uneaten food sinks to the bottom and if you see poop on the bottom suck it out with a turkey baster.

That's good it's disappearing. So long as he continues to improve you can treat for 2 weeks safely.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:58 PM   #5 
dorymomory

Sounds good. Thank you, Callistra!