Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-15-2013, 11:00 AM   #1 
Aside

best way to transport betta

So, I'm finally off to college in a couple days. I'm super excited but the question remains how to get dear Albus there.

His tank is heavily planted and the home of a couple shrimp so I was planning on draining it half way and then carefully wedging it in the car because there is no way I'm going to be able to net the shrimp.

So, should I leave Albus in the tank? It will be half full of water and half full of air and I'll probably saran wrap the top to avoid water splashing everywhere.

We will be driving 3 hours weds night and 3 hours thursday morning. We will be staying overnight at a hotel. Is it worth refilling the water at the hotel and exposing them to different water only to have to acclimate them to college water the next day or should I leave them in the half empty tank over night.

It's a 2.5 gallon tank if that changes anything.
Aside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:11 AM   #2 
aemaki09

That would work, just make sure you don't make any pit stops and have the heat on to keep him warm.

My preferred method is to have them cupped or bagged inside of a cooler with some news paper so he doesn't slide around, but the way you are thinking d would be fine too, IMO
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:39 PM   #3 
babystarz

Yes I agree, have him in a separate container in a cooler. I would also take along an extra container of treated tap water from your house so you can change out the water in his container without using the hotel water, and mix the remainder of your house water with the water at your college for ease of transition.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:51 PM   #4 
Aside

I'm leaning towards leaving him in he tank because I feel it may be less stressful because I won't have to move him. But will the water sloshing around disturb him? I don't know how much it will, we will be on the highway most of the time so it should be a pretty easy ride. I'm not too worried about the shrimp because they mostly stay on the floor but Albus swims around more.

I could put the tank back in the cardboard box. This would keep it dark and maybe trick albus into sleeping through the ride? Would that keep him more calm or stress him out more.

I still have the cup I got him in so I can cup him but I don't have a cooler so it would just be the cup sitting in the car. The car will be heated and if we have to stop I'll make sure someone is always in the car with the heat on. His heater doesn't work that great (I'm working on it but I can't afford a new one right now) so he's used to water at about 75 degrees. So it shouldn't be too much of a shock for him.

why do I always make my posts way longer than they have to be.
Aside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:41 PM   #5 
aemaki09

Now that you mention it. The water sloshing around would definitely be more stressful than cupping him.
Go ahead and put him in his cup in your cars cup holder or something for the trip. That should be fine. I've transported baby bettas for a couple hours in my cup holders (in their cups) before with no issue. Much less stressful than being in a tank I think
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:06 PM   #6 
MrVampire181

I'd pack him like you're going to ship him. It's less stressful for him to be in the dark, in a bag, in an insulated box. Just use some grocery bags or a towel for insulation and padding and if need be a hand warmer (on the opposite side of the box as they get very very hot).
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:29 PM   #7 
babystarz

The problem with staying in his tank is that even a simple stop at a light could cause the water to slosh so violently that he's thrown against the wall of the tank. Going through this repeatedly could stun and/or drown him. In a small container, his body will not have so much momentum behind it, and he won't have to swim as hard to stay in place.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote