Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-15-2013, 11:22 AM   #1 
jpottle

Petco Bookshelf Tank questions

Hi,

I have had my betta in his 2.5g tank less than a month, but I am already planning the next upgrade... not sure when this will happen... as soon as I can convince the hubby to let me spend more money OR slip it in under the radar...

Anyway, I am leaning towards the Petco Bookshelf aquarium, since I really like the long shape of it compared to other similar size tanks (in gallons) - I think Sparkie would prefer more room to swim horizontally, as opposed to up-and-down in a hex shaped tank or something. Here is a link to the tank: http://www.petco.com/product/14978/P...-Aquarium.aspx

I have a few questions for those of you who have this tank.

1. Which filter does it come with? I mean, is it any kind of name brand - Marineland or Aquaclear? Is there room to add extra bio-media? I have some in my current filter I would like to transfer over if possible.

2. I have read the reviews that the lighting system is not the best, and can melt the hood if left on too long (over 10 hours). Has anyone had this problem? We usually leave our light on 13-14 hours a day right now. I'm wondering if I need to plan to replace the lighting right away. I've seen the recommendation of replacing the lighting with the Marineland LED strip, here: http://www.amazon.com/Marineland-Sin...I2BRDOJ0C5QNO8 . For anyone who has done this, how did it work? Did the Marineland fit under the hood, or are you replacing the whole top of the tank somehow? Are the LEDs suitable for live plants?

That's all. Thanks!

Janice
jpottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:27 AM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Not sure what filter it comes with, and anything hot on plastic will obviously melt the plastic... So, using the marineland LED would work. Depending on what plants you have, just about any light including LED would work fine.

I have had the shell of that tank... No hood, no light, no filter. And I loved it! I ended up putting a sponge filter in one corner, and there was enough room for the fish.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:18 PM   #3 
RoranicusPondicus

1. The filter it come with is called power filter, it never say what brand. It dose mechanical and chemical filtration. It take Tetra Whisper Med Filter Cartridges. Note, the filter is quite.

2. The light has never melted my hood. I leave my light on for at lest 11-12 hours a day. I guess other have had bad luck.

I wish I have more info for you.
RoranicusPondicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:44 PM   #4 
callistra

The filter is an HOB, not powerhead. I don't know if the filter is a rebranding of some kind or not, but it's not like others I've seen. I haven't used it personally but I've read a lot of people found the current too strong, and were unsatisfied with the quality. A lot of people just replace it. Some with bettas try baffling.. I've also seen at least one case where a betta got stuck on the intake tube and was killed by it. Suggest at least a prefilter sponge.

Why are you leaving the light on so long? 8-10hrs should be good.. unless you're trying to grow algae :)
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:14 PM   #5 
mld02004

I have the tank and have no problems with overheating due to the light. I did buy a new light (bulb) only because I thought the one that came with it was too bright/unnatural. I bought a Zoomed flora light for my live plants.

I don't use the filter (it's not cycled) so can't comment there but it does appear to be a tetra knock-off type.

I've divided the tank and added a heater. So far have been very happy with it. It's fairly sturdy and has a plastic "tray" at the bottom for reinforcement.
mld02004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:04 PM   #6 
registereduser

I like the filter, it's small but adjustable and quiet.

The light started to not work soon after I got it. It seemed to be the way the bulb was installed so I tried to wiggle it and re-position it and I did it wrong and the light socket did melt. Thank goodness I was home and smelled the burning plastic, yuck.

So I bought a small LED desk lamp and use that instead. The tank gets natural light from the window for plants.

I like the tank, it's great for plakats that like to do laps in the tank.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:01 AM   #7 
jpottle

Thanks for all your answers everyone. Some really good news: I found out that they also sell this tank on Amazon, and I had a gift certificate for there, so I went ahead and bought it! It should be here in a few days! I'm so excited to set up Sparkie's new home.
jpottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:26 AM   #8 
MrRomero

I have two of these tanks both containing bettas. The light it comes with is fine but it does run a little hot and bright, you may look into a different light. I have not replaced mine yet but plan to do so. Also, it has not melted the acrylic lid that separates the light from open water (if that makes sense).

The adjustable filter works fine although the cartridge is not a very snug fit as water can bypass it slightly. I have used the fluval pre-filter sponge on both of my filter intakes as a precaution and the water bottle method for a baffle as the filter current is a bit too strong for my halfmoon. The filter runs very quiet in my opinion so that is certainly a plus!

(Also, as a tip, if your filter is a little noisy at first, turn the adjusting nob to wide open which will allow a fast current to push the bubbles out. Once it quiets down you can adjust for a comfortable current flow.)

Other than that the tanks are great! My bettas love swimming the length of the tank. It has provided me with a nice landscape for small to medium sized plants as well. Not to mention the bettas don't have to use much energy to reach the surface for air or food.

I would certainly suggest getting a cleaning pad made for acrylic aquariums to help scrub off water marks and any algae. Acrylic tanks scratch very easily so be careful when handling it and adding hardscape to the tank.
MrRomero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:06 PM   #9 
Myates

I've had nothing but trouble with my light.. one of the negatives I have seen people say about it on other sites. Most of the time the light will go off and on by itself. Faulty little battery thing in it.. otherwise it's a good tank, filter is fine - the flow is adjustable so that help.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:37 PM   #10 
Shadyr

I have one divided for two of my boys, and I really like it. I have had problems with the light - on my 2nd replacement bulb. I put a whisper 3i filter on it, and that seems to be about right for my fellas.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote