Housing
What size is your tank? 2 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 85 degrees F
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta pellets and dried bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? Full
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Aquarium salt, Aqua Safe Plus

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Yes.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About two months ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Ich and fin rot, both resolved.
How old is your fish (approximately)? About a year old.

Okay, so now that that's over with...

Chibi got a big lump on his left side about two months ago. It was perfectly round, and only on the left side. He showed zero change in behavior, no difficulty getting around, still super active, etc. Eating fine, swimming fine, still getting mad at anyone who wants to look in his tank (flaring), etc. I did some research and decided it was likely a tumor. Needless to say, I was very sad. But since he didn't seem to be suffering, I figured I'd just let him live out his life until things really started to change.

Then one day I went to feed him and it was gone completely. Now, I feed him daily. So this literally happened overnight. I was completely thrown off. But hey!! At least it wasn't a tumor.

It's been about three weeks since it disappeared, and this morning it looks like it's coming back again. It's not as big, but it's getting there, and I'm sure soon it will be the same size as it was.

I guess my question is...what is it?! And how can I get rid of it for good? He doesn't seem uncomfortable at all, but I obviously can't ask him how he's feeling.

I thought he was constipated at first, but since it was only on one side it seemed that that was not the answer. Now I'm thinking that's maybe what it is.

Any ideas would be awesome. Thank you!!
Animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:02 AM   #2 
AlphaBetta1

I've never heard of anything like this before, but it could be a digestive issue. I assume you mean freeze dried bloodworms which I know can cause issues if not soaked thoroughly before feeding.

Also, the temperature is a little bit high. Water changes should be a little more often, 2 50% changes per week with one 100% monthly should do. I hope this helps.
AlphaBetta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:40 AM   #3 
jessp118

Aquarium salt should only be used when you fish is sick and for a MAX of 10 days. I recommend you stop using Aquarium salt and change to stress coat if you are trying to heal fins.

That temperature is on the high side. If you have a preset heater, I recommend you go get an adjustable heater. Make sure you are using an in tank thermometer to get the temperature.

You could try using Epsom salt. Using 1tbs per 1 gallon. But I'm unsure if it would help with tumors.
jessp118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:41 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Can you post a pic of the area in question and/or describe the exact location.

Why are you using salt and how much are you using-have you been using the salt with every water changes since you got him.

I do agree that the temp is a bit on the high side, however, some will do well and/or prefer the high normal temp range.

I would increase your water changes-What I recommend on 2gal unfiltered without live plants-Twice weekly...1-50% water only and 1-90-100% each week to maintain water quality.

Nutrition-good quality varied diet fed in small frequent meals.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:23 PM   #5 
Animal

Thanks all. I thought you could use aquarium salt all the time. At least that's what it says on the carton I have. I use 2 tsp. each water change.

I had the temperature lower, but his fin rot did not clear up until around 85. And he's been at 85 since. He's active around feeding time and when there's something to check out, but not overly active. I'd say he seems normal.

And yes I meant freeze dried bloodworms, but I don't soak them. I'll start doing that.

Let me see if I can manage a photo.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:12 PM   #6 
Animal

Hi all, sorry for the delay. This is a newer thread by someone else but it looks identical to the lump that keeps going away and returning on my betta.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=125480

Thanks!!
Old 01-15-2013, 07:24 PM   #7 
callistra

If it looks like that then my suggestion is epsoms with fasting and poop monitoring like in post #3
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:28 PM   #8 
Animal

Thanks! I will do that :)