Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-15-2013, 09:00 PM   #1 
Arctic Cat ZRT

Rocky Start...

Alright for a few months I have been trying to keep fish in my little 3.5 gallon aquarium. To make a long story short, I chosed the wrong fish for the tank I had. After many fauilures, I decided it was time to try a more hardy fish.

So lets flash back to Sunday. I was planning to keep my previous fish as long as I could, when they all passed I would try a betta. So last week my oldest fish (4 months) gave up the ghost. He had been through Sandy power outage, and very poor water quality due to my amateur knowledge. I then did a very large water change, and added my water conditioner. I then went to my local, family owned fish store where I was buying all of my previous, yet unsuccessful, fish. At first I was going to walk out of the store with no betta as the cheapest we found was 13 bucks, and with my track record, I didn't want to lose that money quickly. The owner though spotted a cambodian show betta that he said he "got a good deal on" so I purchased him for 7 bucks. I got him home and acclimated him to my water. The rest of the night he was pretty slow going and was resting alot on the bottom as he had done at the shop. I didn't think much of it. Then yesterday I can home after work to check up on my fish to find him lifeless. Lets just say I was .

As of right now my water sample of the tank water when I found him passed, and his body is sitting in our big fridge waiting for the store owners to get back from vacation. Hopefully my water was not at fault and I can get my money back. He should have lasted a big longer than 24 hours.

Let fast forward. Against my common sense my girlfriend talked me into going to Wally World aka. Walmart to purchase one of their bettas(some of you are probably crinching at the though). Most of the bettas, while alive, did not seem to have a lot of life left in them. Yet one, seemed very alive! Especially when I put my finger near his cup. His fins were also in great condition, and even showed signs of growth. So I pick him up, and brought him home. I was even more patient when acclimating him to the water(I spent about 3 hours). I then released him in my tank, he seemed to gleefully check out his new house.

I got home from work hoping all was well, and it was! I bought some freshwater salt and some new plants for the tank on my way home. He also ate for me a bit today for the first time.

The only issue I have had to far with him is that he is constantly flaring when the tank light is on due to seeing his reflection. After some research on this board this seems to be normal for a new betta. I'll have to track his progress and hopefully I can keep the light on when I am home from work.

Well that my story!
Arctic Cat ZRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:08 PM   #2 
veggiegirl

Hey there,

I am glad that your new betta is doing so well, it is a shame that you lost your last betta. Do you have a heater and filter in your tank? How often do you perform water changes?
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:25 PM   #3 
Arctic Cat ZRT

Hello! Well my set up is a 3.5 gallon tank with a standard filter. I also have an heater with a thermostat which is fixed at about 80 degrees. When I had my other fish I would generally do a 50% water change every two weeks give or take. I think my issue with my previous fish was over feeding which cause poor water quality. I blame my previous luck on me

I do think my first betta had some major issues beyond my control...my second one is doing much better though!
Old 01-20-2013, 03:00 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping.....

Nice to meet you....

Be sure and post question in the proper section for best response. Start a new thread with your fish keeping question and our awesome members will be happy to help anyway they can.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:22 PM   #5 
veggiegirl

Hey there,

I am glad that your new boy is doing well, it is really good that you have a heater and filter though for a tank that size I would recommend 50% water changes weekly. Hope he continues to go well for you, we would love to see some photos
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:05 PM   #6 
waterdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Cat ZRT View Post
I got home from work hoping all was well, and it was! I bought some freshwater salt and some new plants for the tank on my way home.
Welcome to Betta Addicts R Us!

My only question is, why the salt???????
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:36 AM   #7 
Arctic Cat ZRT

I had a thread going in diesases and emergencies, which kinda explain the salt. Lets just say things didn't go to plan and after 4 months of trying to take care of a small tank, I have decided to take a break from fishkeeping until I can get a 30 gallon tropial setup. In the future I may start up my small tank again armed with better knowledge from this website, instead of questionable advice from my family owned fish store.