Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-13-2013, 11:16 PM   #1 
Skyewillow

Had to share my Albino Longfin pleco!!!

Because this is one of my favorite fish, and it's actually a decent picture of her!

Introducing Boo!
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:19 PM   #2 
blu the betta

she's a beauty! i have to get one!
blu the betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:21 PM   #3 
Skyewillow

They're great! I really want to get a male too, I like all those bushy bristles on their faces. Originally that's what we were hoping for, but we fell in love. lol

Someday, I'll get my Davy Jones fish!
Old 01-13-2013, 11:30 PM   #4 
LadyVictorian

I love these fish, they are so lovely. What is the smallest tank they can occupy?
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:32 PM   #5 
Skyewillow

according to my research 29 gals. We bought her from our favorite (because it's the only reliable) fish store after we asked for a vegetarian for our 30.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:06 AM   #6 
Oldfishlady

I raise the Long fin bushy nose albino pleco-they are great fish IMO/E, easy to breed and raise the fry-the male does most of the work anyway...lol...
They do need real wood to rasp on to help with digestion. Along with algae wafers and fresh veggies-I also feed meaty foods at least weekly-they love live red worms. Non-agressive fish except with other males-especially in too small of tank-the fights can get pretty ugly.

Looking at your pic....if it is a young BN-I think it might be a male-some females will get a few little whiskers on their snout-but usually not many and your looks like it has a lot-can you see any on top of the snout. My males usually will start to bush out as they near 8mo-1yr-sometimes younger, however, I have had some females with a fair amount on their snout too. (see pic in my album)

IMO/E-the smallest tank to keep them long term is 20gal, I do keep young/small BN in 10gal short term-I swap them out every 3-4 month since I always have baby plecos from my main breeding pair. My temps average 75-76F and to get them to spawn-I will raise my temp to 80-82F for a few days-then make a 75% water change-turn the heater to 78F and refill with about 65F water and I will have a spawn within 24h.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:18 AM   #7 
Skyewillow

None on TOP, just the "Mustache" that you can see in the pic. I'd say Boo is about 3" not including that beautiful tail.

Does that help?

I sexed based on the nasal "ridge" that is supposed to be present on even young males, and the lack thereof on females. Her snout is a little more concave than convex.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:23 PM   #8 
finnfinnfriend

Are those beautiful long fins a result of selective breeding? Or are they just like that naturally?
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:34 PM   #9 
Skyewillow

Iactually had to look that one up. I guess the long-finned variety is from Paraguay, the site I checked said that the albinos are common there.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:12 PM   #10 
djembekah

i was going to guess male too but regardless of gender, that's a BEAUTIFUL fish. i adore plecos. I have a regular albino bristlenose, he's gorgeous too though. i love plecos!
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote