Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-03-2013, 09:00 PM   #1 
zebra3

My fish is dying!!

So today I fed my fish like normal, a small bunch of betta flakes (all he likes to eat) twice, once at 8 AM and once at 6 PM. I added a small amount of cold but still water to his 3 gallon tank to bring up the water level for aesthetic purposes. The temp is still at it's steady 78 degrees. But my fish is struggling to swim, can't follow my finger to the bottom of the tank, and keeps giving up and lying still as if dead for a couple seconds before swimming more. He also is swimming just over the surface of the water,w hich he NEVER does. What is wrong with him? Oh and the tank is planted with anubias and some lilies.
It really looks as though he doesn't have much time left, but he was FINE 2 hours ago.
zebra3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:09 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233 Please fill out.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:19 PM   #3 
zebra3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
Housing
What size is your tank? 3 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 78 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? yes, eclipse bio wheel
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none, just plants

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? flakes, does not like pellets.
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice a day, 8 to 10 hours between

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? I do 25% changes every few days to a week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? None, the water added is still water been sitting for a week.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
Have not tested water, have no test. Pet store closed until tomorrow.
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He does look a little bloated, in the area behind his head, where his thin fins are.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? It has no strength to swim more than an inch below water level. Seems to give up and "crests" the top of the water like a shark or dolphin. Has apparent trouble breathing, but not too badly.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? An hour ago. They were not present 3-4 hours ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No because I don't know what's wrong with it!
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Never.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Got it from reputable pet store 6 months ago.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:21 PM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Letting water sit out does not make it safe. You still have to add Dechloritator.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:25 PM   #5 
Kithy

You need to do more changes in a week, probably closer to 50% twice a week.

Letting water sit out removes chlorine but there are many other things in tap water that need to be removed with a water conditioner. Unless you have well water, that's a whole different thing, I think.

When you feed him, do you remove what he doesn't eat?

Depending on where you live you could get a test strip kit from Walmart even at this time, some Walmarts are 24hrs. It won't be the best but it'll give you a better idea of what's going on.
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:30 PM   #6 
zebra3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kithy View Post
You need to do more changes in a week, probably closer to 50% twice a week.

Letting water sit out removes chlorine but there are many other things in tap water that need to be removed with a water conditioner. Unless you have well water, that's a whole different thing, I think.

When you feed him, do you remove what he doesn't eat?

Depending on where you live you could get a test strip kit from Walmart even at this time, some Walmarts are 24hrs. It won't be the best but it'll give you a better idea of what's going on.
He eats all I give him. I can't imagine giving him more than he will eat.
I did some research, could this be that bladder disorder thing I read about?
Old 01-03-2013, 09:32 PM   #7 
Kithy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra3 View Post
He eats all I give him. I can't imagine giving him more than he will eat.
I did some research, could this be that bladder disorder thing I read about?
Swim bladder? I suppose it could be but I've no experience with it and bettas. Any chance you can get picture or video of him?
Old 01-03-2013, 09:35 PM   #8 
zebra3

I'll get a photo and edit this post with it check back in 5 minutes. I think it's that because his belly is big and he keeps "laying down" at the top of the tank.

Important: I turned the filter off because I feel it was making it even more difficult for the fish to swim.
That shouldn't be a problem right?
Old 01-03-2013, 09:35 PM   #9 
Kithy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra3 View Post
I'll get a photo and edit this post with it check back in 5 minutes. I think it's that because his belly is big and he keeps "laying down" at the top of the tank.

Important: I turned the filter off because I feel it was making it even more difficult for the fish to swim.
That shouldn't be a problem right?
Shouldn't be. If you need to lower the water do so as well. You might need to do more water changes while he is unwell.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:36 PM   #10 
veggiegirl

Hey there,

Being that your betta became unwell so quickly I would tend to think that it may be the water that you added to the tank. Sitting the water out in the sun may remove the Chlorine but it will not make it 100% safe. Traces of heavy metals and other unsafe substances may still be present in the water, only Water conditioner will neautralise these making the water safe for fish.

Also always make sure that the new water that you add to his tank is the same temperature as the water that is in his tank otherwise he will become very stressed which will compromise his immune system and put him at risk of disease. I hope he recovers, goodluck
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote