Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Spawn Logs
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-13-2013, 04:45 PM   #1 
GhostFeather

Question on leaving the Male with the fry?

If you leave the Male to raise the fry,should you feed him when the fry are free swimming?
I am interested in giving this a try with my Plakats that are free swimming as of today.
Thanks
Bill
GhostFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:51 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Check out these experiments- http://bettysplendens.com/articles/p...?articleid=809 and http://bettysplendens.com/articles/p...?articleid=839
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:08 PM   #3 
LadyVictorian

Wow that is an amazing experiment. I would LOVE to know how your fry turn out after leaving them with dad. I wonder if sisters raised like this once removed from all males would coexist better in a sorority vs's females raised together without a father. That might be an interesting experiment later on though it seems dad is the one keeping the peace with his spawn.

It makes sense to me though, in the wild I can't imagine a male would ditch his kids right after they start free swimming. Survival wise most of them would be killed and maybe if lucky one or two would possibly make it. Seems more likely a male would protect them until they were large enough to hopefully protect themselves and go off in the scary world.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:55 PM   #4 
GhostFeather

Thanks Matt,
That was an interesting read!
I think I am going to give it a try with this brood.
I will keep everyone posted.
Bill
Old 01-14-2013, 01:18 AM   #5 
indjo
TFK Moderator

IME there are good fathers, so so, and bad fathers (egg/fry eaters). The first 2 can be left with fry long term. In fact male type1 will feed his fry - he will eat, then vigorously flap his pectorals to call his fry. Then he either releases food debris and or mouth fry.

Male type 2 usually doesn't feed fry but will not eat them. He will totally ignore and let them fend for themselves. Both of these types can be left with fry until fry are adults. IMO, if you have these types of males, it is best to keep him with fry, at least for the first month or so. This condition will produce more "good daddies" amongst the fry. Besides the first type of male sometimes stresses to death if removed.

Not much to be said for psychotic egg/fry eaters except artificially hatch eggs.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:11 AM   #6 
Myates

How would you know what type you have without risking the fry? I suppose if you watch very carefully, but I'd be terrified to leave them at night personally.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:40 PM   #7 
GhostFeather

So far-so good!
This is his 2nd day with them free swimming.
He swims around,stops and looks at them,then swims off and looks at others.
I fed him a little last night,he really enjoyed it,fed him a few white worms just now.
He was setting on the bottom just watching the fry swim around him.
This is his 2nd spawn,he was real good with the eggs and newly hatched fry,that is what got me wanting to try this.
I will have to watch him when I feed him again latter and see if he calls his fry and feeds them.
Bill
Old 01-14-2013, 04:07 PM   #8 
Option

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostFeather View Post
So far-so good!
This is his 2nd day with them free swimming.
He swims around,stops and looks at them,then swims off and looks at others.
I fed him a little last night,he really enjoyed it,fed him a few white worms just now.
He was setting on the bottom just watching the fry swim around him.
This is his 2nd spawn,he was real good with the eggs and newly hatched fry,that is what got me wanting to try this.
I will have to watch him when I feed him again latter and see if he calls his fry and feeds them.
Bill
Nice, congrats! I'm really hoping to be able to leave my male in on my next spawn as well. What are you feeding the father during this time?

And how big if your spawn tank? I'm wondering if a bigger spawn tank will suppress his hunger instinct by now crowding him as much.
Option is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:21 PM   #9 
GhostFeather

It is a 10G. with about 5 inches of water,Java Moss and the cup for his nest.
I feed him White Worms,Fruit Fly Maggots,I will be putting some BBS in a little later.
I fed the fry some Bananna Worms and Vinegar Eels yesterday and today.
I have Chemical test kits to check the water specs.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:49 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
IME there are good fathers, so so, and bad fathers (egg/fry eaters). The first 2 can be left with fry long term. In fact male type1 will feed his fry - he will eat, then vigorously flap his pectorals to call his fry. Then he either releases food debris and or mouth fry.

Male type 2 usually doesn't feed fry but will not eat them. He will totally ignore and let them fend for themselves. Both of these types can be left with fry until fry are adults. IMO, if you have these types of males, it is best to keep him with fry, at least for the first month or so. This condition will produce more "good daddies" amongst the fry. Besides the first type of male sometimes stresses to death if removed.

Not much to be said for psychotic egg/fry eaters except artificially hatch eggs.
This has been my experience as well.....

But I have gone one step further with experiments in the house, as well as how I spawn outside in the warmer months.
That is, leaving the female too and with some I will use trios (1male/2females)

I use a more natural method to spawn in the house-Using 10gal soil based-heavy planted tank-full to the top with water and have kept the male with his offspring long term-all while he is tending a new nest of eggs when I keep the female in the tank with him. Neither male or female ate the fry, however, the older/bigger fry did eat some of the younger/smaller fry.

Often you will have a more successful sorority when you start out with related females that have never been separated.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote