Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-16-2013, 03:48 PM   #11 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Eek if the mystery disease in indeed a form of fish TB, I would recommend culling that female ASAP. Fish TB can be transferred to humans through an open cut or wound so be very careful while handling anything with that tank.

I have seen people that have fish TB come through their tanks, cull everything and don't use the tank again afterwards.

From the look of her back end I would say that she probably doesn't have much longer. I am always an advocate of euthanising rather than letting them linger and pass away naturally. In this case I would be thinking about it as I don't believe she is going to recover from that sadly.
Well I work with animals almost every day so I do have cuts on my heads...BUT they are healing so they're not open but I do not know how to cull her. I have never put a fish down and I don't know how.

Also what would I need to clean her tank? And what would I need to cull her?
Roemgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:50 PM   #12 
AyalaCookiejar

Like I stated in your last post, the one who passed away looks like she had columnaris. Did they look that way when they were purchased?

It does look like the mystery disease. It is some type of bacterial disease and it cannot be killed with bleach, but it can be killed with Lysol. However, the mystery disease always kills within 24 hours... Usually quicker. Unfortunately, this means that the tank cannot be kept as well as any decorations or equipment that came into contact with anything that touched the water. I would not purchase more fish from there.

Edit: the mystery disease also spreads rapidly. If it hasn't spread more since yesterday, its probably not it... And columnaris is like white fuzzy stuff that usually starts at the mouth and spreads in patches on the body.

Last edited by AyalaCookiejar; 01-16-2013 at 03:54 PM.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:05 PM   #13 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
Like I stated in your last post, the one who passed away looks like she had columnaris. Did they look that way when they were purchased?

It does look like the mystery disease. It is some type of bacterial disease and it cannot be killed with bleach, but it can be killed with Lysol. However, the mystery disease always kills within 24 hours... Usually quicker. Unfortunately, this means that the tank cannot be kept as well as any decorations or equipment that came into contact with anything that touched the water. I would not purchase more fish from there.

Edit: the mystery disease also spreads rapidly. If it hasn't spread more since yesterday, its probably not it... And columnaris is like white fuzzy stuff that usually starts at the mouth and spreads in patches on the body.
The girl who passed away, she looked fine when I got her. And I got half and half because all the fish were picking on her and I thought maybe she was gray because she was being eaten so I wanted to get her out of there before they killed her.

Ok once she passes away I'll just throw everything away. But what should I do if her condition stays the same for the next few days? She's a little fighter and I don't think she's ready to give up yet.

This is the first and obviously the last time I will get anyone from there. There was one last female in the tank but I imagine that something has happened to her already. Hopefully none of the fish in there that are non bettas will be effected!

Thank you so much for all your help. There's no one here who knows a lot about fish so I really really 100% on here. Is there anything specific I should do when throwing all of my things away?
Old 01-16-2013, 04:13 PM   #14 
AyalaCookiejar

I've never had to throw a tank away but I'd assume you don't need anything specific besides a trash can.

It may be columnaris. I would imagine the other female they had also got it... It's very contagious, but I do think that it can be killed with bleach but I would check on that.. If she lives past today it's probably not the mystery disease... It really is unfortunate though when you lose your fish and have to throw out all your equipment :/
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:20 PM   #15 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
I've never had to throw a tank away but I'd assume you don't need anything specific besides a trash can.

It may be columnaris. I would imagine the other female they had also got it... It's very contagious, but I do think that it can be killed with bleach but I would check on that.. If she lives past today it's probably not the mystery disease... It really is unfortunate though when you lose your fish and have to throw out all your equipment :/
Ok I hope the house keepers won't mind a 5 gallon tank 0_0

I'll look into that more. Because if I can save at least all my silk plants that would be awesome (since I without thinking wanted to give her all the cover she needed so put over half my silk plants in there). She really is still swimming around but she doesn't seem to be eating. I put some thawed blood worms in there but never actually saw her eat them (I wonder if they just went to the bottom). Today makes about 5 days since she's been at the petstore (or 4 the lady couldn't remember when they got them). So I'm guessing since she hasn't gotten worse or better its hopefully not the mystery disease? But I'm waiting on a reply from the person who actually posted the thread to see what they say.

I just wish there was something I could do to make her have a 100% recovery :(
Old 01-16-2013, 04:42 PM   #16 
callistra

The "Mystery Disease" is not 100% fatal. I really wish people would stop throwing that around. It's very very hard to treat due to the fast nature of it and limited number of meds which have potential to touch it. It moves so fast that most of the time the fish dies before the meds have a chance to work, or before people can find meds. But whether it is actually a totally new strand of TB or a particular aggressive forum of columnaris (I reiterate that fish with TB tend to get secondary infections like columnaris and they move especially fast because of their weakened immune system.. think AIDS for fish..) both are potentially treatable.

If you want to try to treat, I would look for Kanaplex by Seachem and combine it with API's furan 2. I would keep a relatively cooler temp (definitely below 80 but don't drop below 76) to slow down the progression of bacteria. Follow the directions to dose every 24 hours for Furan 2 (1 packet treats 10g so you'll have to dilute it and remix daily) and every 48 for Kanaplex (one level scoop treats 5g). Treat for 2 full weeks like this. For a 5 gallon tank during treatment, I would do a 25-50% water change every other day and 100% weekly.

If it is the disease in the sticky you'll have a matter of a day or very few short days before she succumbs so quickness is key.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:02 PM   #17 
Sakura8

Hi Roemgie. I'm so sorry about your two girls. It does sound like they have the mystery disease, aka a very virulent strain of mycobacterium. This is the same bacteria that causes fish TB although your fish don't necessarily have that. They just have the bacteria that causes it.

Unfortunately, as everyone else has stated, this disease is very fast-moving, very hard to treat and fatal. Of all of the cases of this disease that I have seen, not one has survived beyond 36 hours. I think the only way you could successfully treat this disease is if you had the medications Callistra listed on hand and you added them almost proactively, which I don't advocate.

You can attempt to disinfect the tank with bleach but I would throw away all decor and nets.

Now, for your remaining girl. It's possible she still has the mystery disease but since she is still hanging in there, she may not. Instead, she may have flexibacter columnaris which can also eat away at tissue. Either way, if you want, you can try the combination of meds and the treatment method Callistra outlined and see if this improves her condition. Also, you can add 1 tsp of AQ salt per gallon to this mix.

However, unfortunately, I'm not sure treatment at this point will make a difference.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:21 PM   #18 
Tikibirds

poor fishie :(

Last edited by Tikibirds; 01-16-2013 at 06:26 PM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:25 AM   #19 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Hi Roemgie. I'm so sorry about your two girls. It does sound like they have the mystery disease, aka a very virulent strain of mycobacterium. This is the same bacteria that causes fish TB although your fish don't necessarily have that. They just have the bacteria that causes it.

Unfortunately, as everyone else has stated, this disease is very fast-moving, very hard to treat and fatal. Of all of the cases of this disease that I have seen, not one has survived beyond 36 hours. I think the only way you could successfully treat this disease is if you had the medications Callistra listed on hand and you added them almost proactively, which I don't advocate.

You can attempt to disinfect the tank with bleach but I would throw away all decor and nets.

Now, for your remaining girl. It's possible she still has the mystery disease but since she is still hanging in there, she may not. Instead, she may have flexibacter columnaris which can also eat away at tissue. Either way, if you want, you can try the combination of meds and the treatment method Callistra outlined and see if this improves her condition. Also, you can add 1 tsp of AQ salt per gallon to this mix.

However, unfortunately, I'm not sure treatment at this point will make a difference.
Hello!

I'm so sorry it took me so long to get back to you. My remaining girl, Half-n-Half passed away last night. I noticed that her gray spot had grown but had not made it all the way to her pectoral fins. I bagged her and threw her away (although I wish I could have buried her and her sister) and I'm going to throw away everything that I had in her tank except for the actual tank itself. I have bleach and rubbing alcohol and I was going to do a serious cleaning with those since I will have no use for the 5 gallon tank anytime soon in the foreseeable future.

Once I took HNH out I noticed some cloudy stuff. It could just be from her decomposing body or who knows what but it's defiantly there.

I do plan on getting another female (obviously from some other place) and moving her into my cycled 5 gallon tank. What medicine should I go ahead and buy so that I won't be so useless in case something else comes up? I would imagine that my two girls got what ever they did from being in a tank with 20 or so other fish and frogs.

And also thank you so much for getting back to me! I really appreciate it and I wish I could have done more for both of them
Old 01-17-2013, 11:45 AM   #20 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
poor fishie :(
They're in heaven now :)