Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-16-2013, 01:22 PM   #1 
Mal72

Is it difficult to keep multiple bettas?

I may be over my head, but I really want two more betta fish. I saw a good looking halfmoon the other day and maybe a CT.

Currently, I have three.
Flare-a 3y/o Veiltale in a heated 1gallon tank because he is being treated for fin rot, but he usually gets a 5 gallon all to himself.

Joker: A goofy Delta (not sure about his age) who is in a 2.5 gallon heated tank all by himself.

Harley Quinn (My Avatar): Is my CT baby female (her colors have come through more since that picture) She lives in a 2.5 a gallon heated, as well.

*I used to have filtered tanks, but it seemed to stress them out, so I simply perform 2 50% and 1 100% water change per week and use stress coat. I also test the water and acclimate them, etc.

They are fed New Life Spectrum pellets(3 pellets, 2x a day), but I also have frozen brine shrimp and freeze dried blood worms (* as treats 1x a week.)

I have another 5 gallon tank and was thinking about making a divider using the binder holders and plastic mesh, then getting two more bettas. Obviously, they would have a heater, etc.

Do you think this would be too ambitious since I have two (Harley Quinn and Flare) that need special care at the moment? I really enjoy having bettas--to the point where my friends sometimes laugh at me. I live alone with 1 Shih Tzu, no boyfriend and am paying my own way through lawschool by working at a law office. Fish make me happy, but I want them to be happy as well. I already have a schedule time for all necessary water changes, etc. Let me know what you think.
Mal72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:32 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

If you have the time & patience to do what is required to keep them all healthy then go for it. I went with bigger tanks because they are much easier to maintain. I started with 1 10g tank, then added a 2nd 10g, then a 46g within a week of the 2nd 10g, I now have a 3rd 10g & a 5.5g along with a 2.5g. This is all within the last 12 months. None of the tanks are divided as a personal choice. I do all my water changes in one day usually, the 2.5 is the only one not filtered & requires more frequent changes. I think sometimes I could add another tank or 2 but I really don't want to put more work on myself, I work full time, live alone, have 5 dogs & the fish so not too different from you. Its a personal choice.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:57 PM   #3 
Armyguy03

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
If you have the time & patience to do what is required to keep them all healthy then go for it. I went with bigger tanks because they are much easier to maintain. I started with 1 10g tank, then added a 2nd 10g, then a 46g within a week of the 2nd 10g, I now have a 3rd 10g & a 5.5g along with a 2.5g. This is all within the last 12 months. None of the tanks are divided as a personal choice. I do all my water changes in one day usually, the 2.5 is the only one not filtered & requires more frequent changes. I think sometimes I could add another tank or 2 but I really don't want to put more work on myself, I work full time, live alone, have 5 dogs & the fish so not too different from you. Its a personal choice.
How many fish do you have in the 46G?
Armyguy03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:10 PM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

Currently residing in the 46g are 12 female Bettas, 2 Golden Chinese Algae Eaters, 1 Mystery Snail & soon to add 3-4 Nerite Snails.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:18 PM   #5 
aemaki09

Honestly, I dont think it'd be too much more trouble than you already do now. You are actually going above and beyond the call of duty right now. The 5 gallon, since it only has 1 fish really only needs 1 change/week. The 2.5's only need 1-100 and 1-50.
the only extra work you would really be doing is water changes, if you have the 10 minutes it takes to empty and refil 1 more tank, I would go for it.
Also, if you decide you want to try filters again, try a sponge filter, that would definitely help you lessen your amount of water changes. They are really quite and produce no current.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:27 PM   #6 
Mal72

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemaki09 View Post
Honestly, I dont think it'd be too much more trouble than you already do now. You are actually going above and beyond the call of duty right now. The 5 gallon, since it only has 1 fish really only needs 1 change/week. The 2.5's only need 1-100 and 1-50.
the only extra work you would really be doing is water changes, if you have the 10 minutes it takes to empty and refil 1 more tank, I would go for it.
Also, if you decide you want to try filters again, try a sponge filter, that would definitely help you lessen your amount of water changes. They are really quite and produce no current.
Thanks Aemaki09, I remember you mentioning the sponge filter on a previous post and I'll have to look into it. I tried the air stone with all of them and they freaked out--especially Old Man Flare. I've been changing the water so much in the tanks because there are no filters and I've been getting different answers about what is preferred. The one fish in the 5 gallon is currently in a 1-gallon hospital, so I was told to change his water more often--one poster said every other day, but I'm honestly not sure. And I really really want to get more of them. I used to have multiples, but then I just had Flare and now I'm getting the Betta bug again!!!!
Old 01-16-2013, 02:32 PM   #7 
Myates

Have to agree.. one more tank is not a whole lot of more time spent in caring for them.

As mentioned above, your 5 gallon is best to have 50% water change only once a week, with 1 100% once a month if it has no filter - just siphon the waste out each week while doing the 50% and it will be fine. So that saves you a bit of time right there :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:35 PM   #8 
carbonxxkidd

I have a divided 5 gallon and my boys are doing really well. I went from having the two boys to starting a 29 gallon planted sorority (with 9 girls and a baby betta ) and another 5 gallon NPT just started yesterday. So far it really hasn't been that difficult keeping up on everything, I feel like I could easily handle more but I'm forcing myself to set a limit, lol. I say go for it! :D
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:45 PM   #9 
Mal72

Thank you!
Hmm Betta Pushers, this could be dangerous to my wallet and social life
Old 01-16-2013, 02:54 PM   #10 
Armyguy03

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
Currently residing in the 46g are 12 female Bettas, 2 Golden Chinese Algae Eaters, 1 Mystery Snail & soon to add 3-4 Nerite Snails.
WOW, do you have a picture, it must look lovely. I plan to get that big once I start school because I'll be stationary for 3 years, but only want one betta alone in a 50G (thats my goal).
Armyguy03 is offline   Reply With Quote