Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-16-2013, 02:00 PM   #11 
Mal72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyguy03 View Post
WOW, do you have a picture, it must look lovely. I plan to get that big once I start school because I'll be stationary for 3 years, but only want one betta alone in a 50G (thats my goal).

50gallons seems a bit ambitious for a single fish. Why don't you try a smaller tank--if you want a single betta or add some community fish in the bigger tank, so that you're betta is completely lost?
Mal72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:05 PM   #12 
dramaqueen
Banned

The most I've had was 12 at a time. Now I have 9. You have to figure what is manageable for you.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:07 PM   #13 
Phaydra

I've kept 2 Bettas for that past 3ish years with no problem and recently step up to 5. I've only had one bad incident involving two of my newest boys but I should have planned my divided tank better since I knew Hector looks for any opportunity to jump.

As far as filters I have a small canister filter in my 20 divided and I use DIY sponge filters in my 5g tanks. The canister filter I have used in one of my 5g before with little issue. I stuffed the spray bar with sponge filter to slow the outgoing flow a bit but it doesn't bother my HMs. I prefer the canister filter for housing Bettas in a the same tank.

I have this a Nano 501 by Zoo Med. It's very quiet but I replaced the Bio filter media with Seachem's Matrix
Finnex also makes a compact canister filter which I am considering buying as I have their LED lights and find them a very well made product.
Phaydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:17 PM   #14 
Armyguy03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal72 View Post
50gallons seems a bit ambitious for a single fish. Why don't you try a smaller tank--if you want a single betta or add some community fish in the bigger tank, so that you're betta is completely lost?
Why not give a fish that came from a 8oz cup a mansion when I can? I like more of the decor and always had one betta. A 50G might seem ambitious to some, however, to me its a perfect home for a single betta. If he gets lost, I guess I'll see him during feeding times (LOL). I currently have Brad Pitt in a 10G, and the only reason its not larger is because I will deploy in a year. As noted, if I was stationary, I would have set up a larger tank and taken him from Walmart to Betta heaven. I am personally against community fish in my tank because I dont want to deal with disease issues from other fish in the mix, and honestly, its less stressful to me to tend to one fish, and one fish only. Brad gets bottled Spring Water, Prime Water Conditoner, and excellent food so Im very sure I could tend to more fish, I just don't want to. Brad is in my spare bedroom (my music room; piano and guitar) and seems to occupy himself all day when I am at work, and not in the room practicing the piano. To me a 50G would also be inspirational because most people "think" a betta can live in a vase, from this site I have learned that the more space the better. I've always went overboard with my pets, and I guess I found the perfect one for me, a Betta, aka Brad Pitt.
Armyguy03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:30 PM   #15 
AyalaCookiejar

Quote:
Why not give a fish that came from a 8oz cup a mansion when I can? I like more of the decor and always had one betta. A 50G might seem ambitious to some, however, to me its a perfect home for a single betta. If he gets lost, I guess I'll see him during feeding times (LOL). I currently have Brad Pitt in a 10G, and the only reason its not larger is because I will deploy in a year. As noted, if I was stationary, I would have set up a larger tank and taken him from Walmart to Betta heaven. I am personally against community fish in my tank because I dont want to deal with disease issues from other fish in the mix, and honestly, its less stressful to me to tend to one fish, and one fish only. Brad gets bottled Spring Water, Prime Water Conditoner, and excellent food so Im very sure I could tend to more fish, I just don't want to. Brad is in my spare bedroom (my music room; piano and guitar) and seems to occupy himself all day when I am at work, and not in the room practicing the piano. To me a 50G would also be inspirational because most people "think" a betta can live in a vase, from this site I have learned that the more space the better. I've always went overboard with my pets, and I guess I found the perfect one for me, a Betta, aka Brad Pitt.
I think what she was saying was most people won't put a single Betta in that size tank because they could easily get freaked out with so much space. It would work but it would require a ton of decor.

Eventually I would like to upgrade my sorority to a 20gallon or larger.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:45 PM   #16 
Armyguy03

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
I think what she was saying was most people won't put a single Betta in that size tank because they could easily get freaked out with so much space. It would work but it would require a ton of decor.

O, well, then I will enlist my "Martha Stewart" silk plant skills and put a hurting on that 50G, LOL. Makes sense. I was unaware that a fish would become stressed due to too much space. Thats really interesting. Thanks for cluing me in on that.
Armyguy03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:59 PM   #17 
AyalaCookiejar

Personally, I don't think they dislike space. They like to have room to swim around, but they also like cover. DragonFish would tell you no tank is too big as long as it has enough hiding places. I know they don't hide a whole lot but in the wild they live in heavily planted areas. My fish all seem to like tall plants better than caves. Plenty of things to explore and rest on near the surface is great. They just aren't used to wide open spaces.

If you think about it, a little tiny Betta in a huge 50 gallon tank that's not decorated hardly at all... They probably wouldn't know what to do with all that space :p if it were me, though, I'd move his old decorations to the new tank and set them up similar to the way they were before in a designated area then add the new plants and decor on the other side of the tank. I do have one Betta who uses one of his caves often, but it is a taller cave.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:07 PM   #18 
Mal72

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
The most I've had was 12 at a time. Now I have 9. You have to figure what is manageable for you.
I got one more today and when the right '5th' one comes, I'll know, I suppose. Here is a picture of my newest boy--still in his cup so the water is awful. I really liked the opague-tipped fins. Really pretty! Not sure what I'll be naming him yet. Honestly I would have about 9-10 at any given time myself, but I don't have the room.
I will say that while I was at Petsmart--mulling over a few different fish, I asked a worker's opinion on which fish she thought I should get. She carefully helped me examine all of them and upon her examination, she noticed there was a fish who was not doing well. She promptly removed him from the shelf and told me she had to take him in the back to be treated. Then she came back. I'm not sure if she was being honest, but it was nice to see a worker showing some concern about the fish in the store. Of course that could also be because the manager knows me (and worse, my animals) by name!
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2013, 08:10 PM   #19 
Mal72

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post

Thank you for clarifying it for me, AyalaCookiejar! :) I just don't want your fish to be freaked out and I'm also thinking that it could be kind of a pain to clean out a 50 gallon all of the time. Still, if you're going to heavily decorate it, then he should be okay. :)
Old 01-17-2013, 08:53 AM   #20 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
WOW, do you have a picture, it must look lovely. I plan to get that big once I start school because I'll be stationary for 3 years, but only want one betta alone in a 50G (thats my goal).
Here is a pic of my 46g.
Attached Images

shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote