carbonxxkidd

shellica, I LOVE YOUR TANK. Beautiful!
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:24 AM   #22 
Armyguy03

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
Here is a pic of my 46g.
WOW, thanks for the pic, that is very lovely. Is it safe to assume that those are real plants? Love the hiding spots, allowing them places to hide and explore.

Thanks again.
Armyguy03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:25 AM   #23 
Luimeril

i've oooonly got 12 bettas. x:
and yes. it's hard. all the water changes. making sure they all get attention.
but, i love them. i love all the water changes. and the attention i have to give them. it's calming to me, and keeps me busy.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:09 AM   #24 
Mal72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
i've oooonly got 12 bettas. x:
and yes. it's hard. all the water changes. making sure they all get attention.
but, i love them. i love all the water changes. and the attention i have to give them. it's calming to me, and keeps me busy.
Four for now, but I imagine the number with continue to grow. I love them too. Each of them have separate personalities and it's very funny to watch them come through. By the way, Luimeril, I just watched a video of yours on Youtube: the sad truth, about betta fish care and made a comment. I completely agree that it is awful, but honestly, pet stores don't really give much direction either. There are lots of pretty and cool vases to put Bettas in and I can see the appeal---having intially bought into when I first got into bettas 10 years ago. My boys and girl don't have to worry about that though--they're all living it up. The only thing I want to invest in now is live plants, but I'm a bit worried about what is 'hearty' enough for a girl who killed a cactus plant. Haha. And the tanks currently do not have lights on them (about to switch to LEDs), but for a bit they're are not going to the proper light. Suggestions?
Mal72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:12 AM   #25 
Luimeril

aahh, lots of people watch that video. :B i've some of my personal fish on there, too. not many, though. but, yeah. i agree. even at my local pet store, they keep those horrid 'betta tanks' right there, and have the good tanks across the way. :I
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:29 AM   #26 
shellieca

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonxxkidd View Post
shellica, I LOVE YOUR TANK. Beautiful!
Thank you. I keep finding ways to improve it, it has been a work in progress.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:32 AM   #27 
shellieca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyguy03 View Post
WOW, thanks for the pic, that is very lovely. Is it safe to assume that those are real plants? Love the hiding spots, allowing them places to hide and explore.

Thanks again.
Thank you, all the plants but one are real. I thought the brown log in the front towards the right needed something so I put a silk plant into the opening. The tank has changed quite a bit over the last 6-7 months, I've added more & more plants, I keep filling in the empty places as I get plants.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:34 PM   #28 
Mal72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
aahh, lots of people watch that video. :B i've some of my personal fish on there, too. not many, though. but, yeah. i agree. even at my local pet store, they keep those horrid 'betta tanks' right there, and have the good tanks across the way. :I
Well, I made a comment and I promise it was appropriate when you see it. :P
The thing that I find amazing is that when you talk to the employees of a petstore, some of them know EXACTLY what a Betta needs. Once when I was looking, there was one guy who scolded me about proper tank size/setup--until I explained to him that all of my fish were living it up. He then said that he tried tried to put the Bettas in the tanks and hand feed them when he could, but the sheer number of Bettas was too overwhelming. That tells me that there are a number of workers that genuinely care about the wellbeing of the fish. Unfortunately, I think they overstock their merchandise which leads to horrible conditions.
Mal72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:25 PM   #29 
Armyguy03

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
Thank you, all the plants but one are real. I thought the brown log in the front towards the right needed something so I put a silk plant into the opening. The tank has changed quite a bit over the last 6-7 months, I've added more & more plants, I keep filling in the empty places as I get plants.
I liked the plant through the log the best, even noticed the Snail on your heater. I now know who I can contact when I start with Live plants for my next tank, LOL. Question, how long do I have to wait before I add fish after I add live plants?
Armyguy03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:21 PM   #30 
shellieca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyguy03 View Post
I liked the plant through the log the best, even noticed the Snail on your heater. I now know who I can contact when I start with Live plants for my next tank, LOL. Question, how long do I have to wait before I add fish after I add live plants?
Well I am by no means an expert on plants or fish keeping, I know what has worked for me & I am more than happy to share my experiences. I decorated the tank, filled with water & added fish all in the same day - I did a fish IN cycle. There's no need, IMO, to wait between adding plants & adding fish. When I get a new plant I rinse it thoroughly in tap water, running my fingers around on it to clean off any gunk & then add it to the tank, right or wrong that's what I do. What I should do is give the plants a Peroxide bath to kill off any nasties.