Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-17-2013, 06:45 PM   #31 
Armyguy03

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
Well I am by no means an expert on plants or fish keeping, I know what has worked for me & I am more than happy to share my experiences. I decorated the tank, filled with water & added fish all in the same day - I did a fish IN cycle. There's no need, IMO, to wait between adding plants & adding fish. When I get a new plant I rinse it thoroughly in tap water, running my fingers around on it to clean off any gunk & then add it to the tank, right or wrong that's what I do. What I should do is give the plants a Peroxide bath to kill off any nasties.
Well, you just answered my question, many thanks. What about plant food? Need special lighting or is natural sunlight okay? Will they outgrow your tank, or stay under water?
Armyguy03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:10 PM   #32 
babystarz

Right now I have 19 adults and 30 fry. Only 3 are betta splendens though, the rest are wild bettas species that can be kept with multiple members of their species so they are all in pairs or foursomes.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:03 PM   #33 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyguy03 View Post
Well, you just answered my question, many thanks. What about plant food? Need special lighting or is natural sunlight okay? Will they outgrow your tank, or stay under water?
I don't have special lighting its whatever the light hood had which I have no idea what it is. I added root tabs a couple weeks ago & usually dose flourish & excel once a week or every 2. Other than that I just do my weekly 50% water changes. I haven't had to deal with them getting too tall yet, this tank was set up in early July 2012 & the plants I started with were really small. The only thing I need to do some research on is adding nitrates. I've heard that if you don't have at least some nitrates the plants will eventually suffer & my nitrates are typically really low & with the additional plants they may now be non existence but I need to check them.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:32 PM   #34 
Mal72

Quote:
I don't have special lighting its whatever the light hood had which I have no idea what it is. I added root tabs a couple weeks ago & usually dose flourish & excel once a week or every 2. Other than that I just do my weekly 50% water changes. I haven't had to deal with them getting too tall yet, this tank was set up in early July 2012 & the plants I started with were really small. The only thing I need to do some research on is adding nitrates. I've heard that if you don't have at least some nitrates the plants will eventually suffer & my nitrates are typically really low & with the additional plants they may now be non existence but I need to check them.
Is a filter still necessary in a tank with live plants? I only have one Air pump--and may be getting another 10 gallon Tank, but didn't want to break the bank getting another pump when all of the other things are cheap for a sponge filter. I would like to increase my collection, but on a budget (make sense?) Honestly, I'm not doing much at this point, I'm waiting to see if my 3 y/o VT recovers from Dropsy. :/ He just started showing symptoms and I'm using OFL's Oak Leaves and Epsom salt remedy sooo fingers crossed, but he has a lot working against him.
Mal72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:37 PM   #35 
AyalaCookiejar

Quote:
I would ask OFL about that. If there were a filter, you'd build up nitrates but they don't show up quickly in a planted tank, anyways.

And no, a filter isn't necessary for bettas, with or without live plants. However, one or both will reduce the number of needed water changes.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:57 AM   #36 
Mal72

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
I would ask OFL about that. If there were a filter, you'd build up nitrates but they don't show up quickly in a planted tank, anyways.

And no, a filter isn't necessary for bettas, with or without live plants. However, one or both will reduce the number of needed water changes.

I didn't think so...I'm looking to start a NPT, so I'm just wondering.
Mal72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:09 AM   #37 
shellieca
Reference Team

I have a canister filter on the 46g. Having a filter doesn't necessarily mean nitrates, from my understanding. My nitrates are typically <10 but I haven't checked them in quite a while so I don't know if they're lower, the same or higher. I get information from a number of sources & then figure out which path to take.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote