Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-16-2013, 12:23 PM   #1 
Armyguy03

Might be a silly one

As the title states, I have a question that might be a "little" silly. Brad Pit is a real swimmer. From dusk to dawn he is swimming. Whenever, I check on him he's doing laps in one corner of my tank, from the bottom to the top, in a circle. I'm assuming that he does this all day because everytime I check on him its what hes doing. When he's not doing that he's zipping across the front of the tank, up and down, up and down, up and down. I took the baffle off my filter and he'll even ride that down, flare up HUGE and zip away. I used a silk plant with a "betta hammock" and made a really nice resting area for him to use at night, and when I use the restroom in the middle of the night I sneak into his room, and sure enough, he's in his plant pillow napping away. So, is this behavior normal? The reason I ask is because one would never think these little guys have so much energy. I mean, there is no way I could go all day like this. But Brad Pitt is a betta (no matter what movie you "think" you saw him in ).

Thanks for responding.

CPT
Armyguy03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:59 PM   #2 
majesticstorm

It depends on the betta, and I think that you have a really active little guy :) As long as he's eating and his colors aren't fading, I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's when they're always on the bottom unwilling to swim you should be worried.

My boy used to be really active too, swimming all the time, but now that his fins have gotten longer, he likes to rest a bit more than he used to.
majesticstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:32 PM   #3 
Myates

I have a few boys that do nothing but lay in their floating plants day and night with no care in the world.

And I have some that are total opposite and do nothing but swim swim swim all over it makes me and the snails in their tanks dizzy.

It's a good sign that your betta is healthy and comfortable in his home - not a whole lot of bettas get a big tank to themselves.. or a big tank at all.. so a lot of people don't see that side of them.

I recently took out two of the laziest bettas you have ever seen (never once swam to the bottom of their shared 10g) and ended up giving the whole tank over to one of my most active. I think it's great when you have one that just likes to zoom about!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote