Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-16-2013, 01:36 PM   #1 
Meeples

Cycling 2.5 g tank

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone's had luck cycling a 2.5 gallon tank. I am using a Tom Mini Internal Filter (wonderfully tame spray bar attachment that really dampens the water flow) and added Tetra SafeStart. It's been about 1.5 weeks since I added the SafeStart and I still have 0.25 ppm ammonia. I understand it can take much longer or might not happen at all in a small tank. I would love to have a much larger one, but I live in NYC in a very small room (it's about 6' x 11').

I'm expecting to move to grad school in the summer where I'll have a much larger place and you can bet that I'll get a big tank with a ton of plants and fish.
Meeples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:44 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Its not that a 2.5gal filtered tank can't establish the nitrogen cycle-it is more due to the limited surface area to maintain a stable cycle, however, you can add more surface area for the beneficial bacteria to colonize on-like, bio-wheel, bio-balls, extra sponges...etc....

It can take up to 6-8 weeks to establish the nitrogen cycle...what are you using for the ammonia source or are you cycling fish-in...

You might find this sticky helpful...
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=107771
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:23 PM   #3 
Meeples

Yep, have read that thread. It's very helpful! :) I decided to buy the SafeStart to help get the BB established more quickly and to try to make things safer for Ms. Meeples. I think I will add some more things into the tank to provide more surface area like you said. I'm cycling fish-in, doing 50% water changes every 3 days.
Meeples is offline   Reply With Quote