Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-17-2013, 12:59 PM   #1 
jinxhex

Betta/Platies?

I have a male Betta fish in a 10 gallon tank, and I'd like to know if he'd do well with about three platys? My Betta isn't aggressive from what I've seen, he never flairs at his reflection and just seems relaxed swimming around, but his tank has been looking a little empty to me.

Would Platys do well with him? I know all fish are different, but is it worth a try? I've read other threads but Platys don't come up as a compatible fish for a Bettas as much as Corys and other fish do.

I've also heard varying tank sizes for Platys, some places I hear they need 20 gallons, other places I hear they can live in 10, I went to AqAdvisor and put in all my info and it said that my tank would only be 75% stocked (I wouldn't plan on adding other fish after the three Platies)
jinxhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:37 PM   #2 
Skyewillow

It depends on your fish.

I had Mushu in with a few platies before we had to move, and the only issue that we had was between Mushu and the largest male (a peppermint). Apparently they looked too much alike, so they would have really minor squabbles amongst themselves.

Your betta will eat any babies your platies have, so if you plan on breeding and keeping the babies, it wouldn't be a good combination.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:48 PM   #3 
jinxhex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyewillow View Post
It depends on your fish.

I had Mushu in with a few platies before we had to move, and the only issue that we had was between Mushu and the largest male (a peppermint). Apparently they looked too much alike, so they would have really minor squabbles amongst themselves.

Your betta will eat any babies your platies have, so if you plan on breeding and keeping the babies, it wouldn't be a good combination.
I'd be planning on getting the "Panda Platys" which have black tails with white bodies, and I am definitely not in the business of breeding and wouldn't mind my Betta eating any babies.
jinxhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:17 PM   #4 
osromatra

I've had platies but they don't like as warm a temp as bettas, so mine have all died off. Our's have all died off. Mollies, however, have done better. Shame because ime, platies are calmer and less "frantic" in their behavior and therefore more interesting to watch. Right now we have one more platy and 3 mollies. D'Argo flared at the two newbies a little at first, but not too much. Now, he still will run them off of his lawn so to speak (his corner of the tank) but he doesn't stalk them, attack them, etc. He'll eat beside them happily.
osromatra is offline   Reply With Quote