Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-15-2013, 11:46 AM   #1 
aemaki09

Does anyone use excel?

So, I have been wanting to upgrade my tanks to NPT for quite a while, but for now this is going to be impossible because of a lot of unexpected bills.
So instead I've been thinking of using excel in my tanks until I can get them set up into NPT's.
I've really not been able to find much online about it other than it'll encourage plant growth by supplementing carbon. I dont want to upgrade to a CO2 system if I am just going to switch to NPT in a few months, but I do want something to help them grow.

So...

Does anyone here use it? If so, what are your experiences with it? Do you recommend it? Any negative reviews/effects? My tanks are all moderate light, is that okay, or do I need to have High light? I read that you should dose every other day if you have anarchis, because it's sensitive, but I have also read that excel only stays in water for 24 hours, so doesn't that defeat the purpose of using it?

That's all the questions I can come up with, but please feel free to add any information you believe I might find useful.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:51 PM   #2 
aemaki09

...bump...
Old 01-15-2013, 11:17 PM   #3 
Nothingness

I believe it will cause melting of Vals and some other plant....I have never tried it myself
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:48 PM   #4 
aemaki09

Thanks. I've also read that suddenly starting to use it will cause melt too somewhere. I just dont want to start using it if its not going to make much a difference I guess?
Old 01-15-2013, 11:52 PM   #5 
twolovers101

I have some... but I haven't used it yet... maybe start using it in TINY amounts and slowly bump it up over a few weeks to the recommended dosage to reduce melt? (just an idea, I have no idea if that will work)
twolovers101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:58 PM   #6 
aemaki09

That could be a good idea.
These are the directions though::
On initial use or after a major (> 40%) water change, use 1 capful (5 mL) for every 40 L (10 gallons*). Thereafter use 1 capful for every 200 L (50 gallons*) daily or every other day. Dosing may be slowly increased in high-growth aquariums. For smaller dosing please note that each cap thread is approximately 1 mL.

It says you want to dose that 5mL the first day because then it'll build up in your tank so you dont have to re-dose a large amount after every water change. But at the same time it says it only lasts 24 hours.
So confusing!!
I really am tempted to try it but, its a lot of money for me, so I dont want it to end up being a waste.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:05 AM   #7 
twolovers101

I bought a small bottle, but as I have a lot of algae growth already, I don't want to dose with ferts until I have my amanos lol and that'll take about a month... not that I need the ferts right now anyway xD
twolovers101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:06 AM   #8 
carbonxxkidd

I saw someone else on this forum saying that Excel is a bad chemical used in disinfectants and preservatives and they didn't recommend using it. That being said, I've also seen lots of statements from people on here and elsewhere who swear by it, but like Nothingness said it has been known to melt anacharis and vals. I have both of those plants in my tanks and therefore chose not to use it...
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:57 AM   #9 
ao
TFK Moderator

i use metricide, a more potent form of excel. a lot of things are chemicals :)
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:37 AM   #10 
aemaki09

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
i use metricide, a more potent form of excel. a lot of things are chemicals :)
Where do you get it? And how does it work for you? Have you noticed a difference from using it?