Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-16-2013, 08:07 PM   #11 
callistra

Sorry can't really see much of anything with the photo.. I can tell he's very clamped.

Tetra Easy Balance messes with ph.. why are you using it? I would definitely discontinue.

When you do water changes are you also cleaning the gravel with vac/siphon or stir/dip method? You really only need one 50% a week if it is fully cycled. If you're unsure you shouls test.. imho any time you don't do weekly 100% changes you should have a drops kit for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate on hand to be able to monitor levels.

He's acting like parasites or some kind or ammonia burns. He shouldn't have any ammonia issues with that water change routine.

Last edited by callistra; 01-16-2013 at 08:09 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:25 PM   #12 
mstenorsaxplayer

I am using the Easy Balance to lower the pH. Thanks for your advise. I do a 20% every day and a 100% one a week. I always let the water age 24 hours. How do you cycle a tank? I have heard many different things about what that is supposed to mean. :(
mstenorsaxplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:33 PM   #13 
callistra

Messing with ph is not a good idea. Bettas can adjust to a wide array of almost any ph coming out of your tap water but the swings can kill them. What is the ph of your tap water before you add the tetra stuff? After?

You have to have a filter to cycle. Looked back..read too fast. Since you don't have one one weekly 100% should be good.

Letting water age is okay as long as you warm it up again before you add it to the tank. Letting it become room temp and then adding it can shock him and cause rapid temp fluctuations. Unless your ph out of the tap is unstable (and for some it is) you can just use a thermometer to make the tap running water match what's in his tank and then fill up buckets/jugs and treat right before adding.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:37 PM   #14 
Sena Hansler

PH really does not matter, as long as you properly adjust them to water changes. If doing 100% water changes as recommended above, acclimate the betta to the new water, to avoid shock... And make sure the temperature is as close as possible as his current water.

Ammonia burns is pretty common. If you get a liquid test kit (API for example) if you see any level of ammonia do a water change. Instead of one 100% water change a week, break it up to TWO 50% water changes, which will keep ammonia levels down.

If you want to cycle the tank, look into getting a sponge filter or adjustable filter. He will like it a lot better :)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:06 PM   #15 
mstenorsaxplayer

I am trying to get him used to the filter. He stresses over everyone that I get for him. Picky picky lol. Thanks for the advise :)
Old 01-16-2013, 09:07 PM   #16 
mstenorsaxplayer

Oh, and do I have syphon if I only have some stones in the bottom? I usually take them out and clean them myself.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:13 PM   #17 
Sena Hansler

Well filters can be a pain for the fish A sponge filter, can be adjustable with a simple "adjustable valve". I use it for fry, weak swimmers and picky fish :)

Siphoning actually makes it easier for you.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:26 PM   #18 
mstenorsaxplayer

Cool What do you mean by sponge filter? The filter I am using now is an ELite Minifilter. It has a little spongy thing on the inside. Is that what you mean?
Old 01-17-2013, 12:02 AM   #19 
Sena Hansler

Actually, this is kind of what I mean. There are different styles... But basically you attach an airline hose to a pump, and then to the filter. I use an "adjustable valve" which controls how much air is pumped through, with the Tetra Whisper pump (smaller one). The one shown is the one I have... It has a suction cup to attach to the side of the tank, and is pretty basic and simple :)
Attached Images

Old 01-17-2013, 12:16 AM   #20 
Sixwolf

The coppery color plus the scratching combo makes me think it might be velvet.
Sixwolf is offline   Reply With Quote