Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-16-2013, 07:49 PM   #1 
Torshe

Betta jumped the barrier :O

Hey I have betta 20 gallon divided betta tank and I accidentally over filled my tank after a water change. One jumped to the other sides and now their fins are shedded and their both breathing heavily. Im wondering what should I do to make sure they dont get sick and that their fins grow back as fast as possible. Thanks!
Torshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:57 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Clean warm water. And make sure the water is 3 inches below the top of the divider, to avoid this from happening :) Just keep an eye on them, and keep up with water changes. Good husbandry and even good diet will have their fins grow back well.
Sena Hansler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:57 PM   #3 
Torshe

Thank you!
Old 01-16-2013, 08:22 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

No problem. It seems to happen a lot - all you can do is be even more careful for our sneaky pals TBH they don't usually full out attack. Lots of showing off, fin nipping, tail slapping etc. extreme cases have damages to the body.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:55 PM   #5 
Torshe

Yeah! Im lucky! Just hope they dont get fin rot!
Old 01-16-2013, 09:05 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

Well, keep the water clean and warm... Plus if you can put a lot of hiding spots and soft plants (silk or fabric or even real) on both sides to keep them from seeing each other all the time :)
Old 01-17-2013, 01:11 AM   #7 
Torshe

Do you think in a 20g tank if I do 50% every week ill have to extra water changes to keep the water super clean? Or would that just mess up my cycle?
Old 01-17-2013, 09:35 AM   #8 
Sena Hansler

I do 25-35% after it is cycled (I've had 20s). If it is over stocked, or just on the brim of being over stocked, 50% will be fine. The beneficial bacteria is actually in the filter, the filter cartridge and on gravel and ornaments. The water is only a small part of it :) so, when rinsing the filter and/or cartridge use old fish water and just reuse. The gravel never has to be rinsed, just stirred (works better with a gravel siphon).

Make sure your tank is really cycled. In a cycled tank ammonia should not be there (unless there is an addition which then a small or large ammonia spike will show). 8 or more weeks running with proper care is usually the time it takes to cycle.

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 01-17-2013 at 09:37 AM.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:24 PM   #9 
Torshe

Okay :) Ive had my 20gal for 6 months and all my fish have survived so I think its cycled but I gotta get a test kit soon! Do you reccomend any?
Old 01-18-2013, 01:28 PM   #10 
Sena Hansler

I recommend API master kit :) It is a liquid test, with everything included that you need. Well worth the money (30.00-40.00), and as long as you keep it in a dry cool place in your house it does last a lot longer than the strips... Which can be damaged from dampness, age, mildew, etc etc.