Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-17-2013, 01:59 AM   #1 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

Strange behaviour with new decorations...

So my sweet little fishy, Cass, is a heavy glass surfer. Whenever you come over and talk to her, she starts glass surfing like nuts and blowing bubbles and opening and closing her mouth like she's trying to talk. Problem is, I got her a new decoration. It's mock bamboo (rubber-ish) around wire, so you can bend it. It's all twisted and pretty inside her tank.

The problem is, whenever someone isn't by her tank, she just chills out in the little, completely empty area, flitting about. If you come over and say hi, she starts looping her way through the faux-bamboo, and doing her usual glass-surfing...

So...

1. Is glass surfing so much normal?
2. Is it normal for a fish to act so differently when people are around?
3. Should I be worried about her not swimming all over unless people are around?
4. Should I return the new decoration?
XxxXnoodleXxxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:04 AM   #2 
RoMay

Take it from me and all the times I worried; bettas are weird. So long as they are not lethergic or fighting with anyone don't worry.

-edit-
Or any signs of distress like heavy breathing, torn fins, or like wise that would scream HELP ME!

Last edited by RoMay; 01-17-2013 at 02:08 AM.
RoMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:23 AM   #3 
Fin Fancier

1/2 My bettas seem to glass surf more when I'm around, generally its their pre-feeding excitement, since that's what they do while waiting for pellets. Since they likely associate you with food this usually is what gets them excited. When I'm not feeling my boy usually just hangs out under his bubblenest. He has done this for so long I think there's something wrong, but when I go up to the tank he goes back to glass surfing/flaring.
3. I'd say as long as you don't see any signs of sickness you're probably alright.
4. The mention of metal in the decoration is somewhat worrisome. I try to avoid metal in any of my decorations. Maybe instead try a few tall silk plants that will hit the surface of the water. My tank is half natural, half silk, and not matter what I give him my betta still likes to make his bubble nest under the one silk plant that goes just above the water.
Fin Fancier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:29 PM   #4 
carbonxxkidd

I just put my plakat boy in a new 5 gallon NPT the other day and I swear he has not stopped glass surfing. Okay, he has stopped to eat, but that's literally it! I originally heard that they do it because they are bored but like I said, this is a brand new tank...he shouldn't be bored yet, right? I have also heard it's normal, too. I know my other two boys always come up to the front glass and go nuts when I am near their tank. They aren't CONSTANTLY doing it like August is (even now, I'm in the other room and can see his tank and he's still at it) and I do see them just hanging out when I'm not around. Part of it might be them seeing their reflection too?
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:46 PM   #5 
bettaluver14

my boy does that too... it's freaking adorable!! even when he sees me in the doorway he gets excited. He will start swimming back and forth and when i come up to him it literally looks like he's saying: "mum! mum! mum!" so cute
bettaluver14 is offline   Reply With Quote