Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-15-2013, 03:00 PM   #1 
angelfish11788

tank divider failed

came home and both my boys were going at it like mad. finally seperated them. both some minor fin loss. what can help that? I cannot find were he slipped through. Now i find myself stairing and rechecking 24/7 to see if it has happened again. also do bettas get scared of each other and show off. apprently my HM lost as now all he does is stay in his betta log(he has never used till today); while the HM plakat comes up to the divider and flairs. I have added a ton more plants to reduce stress. just worried I guess I have to leave home tonite. so i am worried, but i went back over everything.. i am stressed as the boys now
angelfish11788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:42 PM   #2 
shellieca

How much space is between the top of the divider and the tank hood? From what I understand it doesn't take a lot of room for a determined Betta to wiggle through the other side. I know there are many people who are successful with divided tanks but I'm a chicken to try them. In any case if the damage is minor, no blood or exposed flesh, I would just keep the water clean, may be do an extra water change or two & of course keep an eye on both of them to make sure nothing changes for the worst.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:47 PM   #3 
waterdog

My thoughts exacttly. Sounds like one jumped over to the other!
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:16 PM   #4 
angelfish11788

nope it is about 6 inches above the rim. I waited but I had class tonite, so I just put one in a betta cup(I save the ones i get them in). I am sure he will be fine overnight since some people keep in .5 there whole iife..
Old 01-15-2013, 11:18 PM   #5 
beacon

I though one of mine jumped over but finally figured out there was a tiny gap he got through. It's a bow front tank and the bow made some extra room near the divider. I stuffed some saran wrap into the space and have had no trouble with it since.
beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:30 AM   #6 
aemaki09

Oh man, I"ve had this happen too. Multiple times!!!
Once in my 10 gallon with store-bought top fin dividers, another in another 10 gallon with DIY dividers, and the most recent time in my 2.5 minibow that I had divided with the divider it came with (as QT not permanently)
Fish can wriggle through the smallest spaces, kind of like mice do.

My suggestion:: Grab the sides of your dividers that are against the tank walls, and pull them from the mesh as hard against the tank wall as you can, in all areas. I have started to do this in all my tanks after water changes and haven't had another slip through since then. -- I know it sounds really obvious but some people dont think about it.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:48 PM   #7 
nel3

you can also use aquarium silicone to keep the divider (triangular plastic binders) from slipping but thats easier done on a tank before its filled and occupied. it can still be done on a filled tank provided you want to redo the setup all over with the divider.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:45 PM   #8 
angelfish11788

Quote:
Originally Posted by nel3 View Post
you can also use aquarium silicone to keep the divider (triangular plastic binders) from slipping but thats easier done on a tank before its filled and occupied. it can still be done on a filled tank provided you want to redo the setup all over with the divider.

I may do that, how many days for it to dry.. also found out problem. ok so it is not a 5.5 divider it is a cut 29 dvider i already had. so when i put the clips in at the top; if you slid them down past the black trim it becomes loose and not strong on the sides. I have to pull them up on the trim and i assume they slip after a will, may just glue clips to trim
Old 01-16-2013, 06:34 PM   #9 
Myates

Takes a few days for it to fully dry..
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:21 AM   #10 
nel3

NP, Angelfish,if you want some additional safe guards you can put a "T" shaped divider over the main divider so they cant jump over the primary divider as well. do the main divider just as usual but leave 1/8th or so for the jumpguard to sit on the main divider. mine never tested out the divider but i still have them in case they decide to try.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote