Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-18-2013, 05:53 PM   #1 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

Unhappy Finally time to just ask...

So my betta, Cass, is in a 2 gallon tank I believe. Maybe a 1.6. Hexagonal, more vertical than horizontal. She seems quite healthy and energetic, but I still have no idea how much I should be doing water changes, or if I should break the bank and buy a new aquarium for her. Her old tank was only a gallon, so this one is a real improvement, but I just want to make sure the sweet little girl lives a long time. There's no filter, and right now we're doing a 25%-ish water change per week, and syphoning her tank of debris twice a week.

I've heard mixed reports. Some people say 1.5-2.5 gallons is just fine for one betta. Some say that's cruel. Some people say you should do one 50% change and one 100% change per week, some say two 50% changes a week, some say two 25% changes a week (for a tank 2.5 gallons or less with no filter)

Please help a guy out. I really want to make sure I've got the best I can get for my little Cass. I'm just pretty strapped for cash and don't want to have to eat dog food if I don't have to. :P
XxxXnoodleXxxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:05 PM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

A tank in the 1 -2.5 gallon range is fine for a single betta. If your water parameters are excellent and your betta is kept healthy and fed it is better off than probably at least 50% of bettas out there.

Personally, I like to purchase a test kit for ammonia and test my water myself.

While sometimes tests can give false readings and they aren't foolproof, if you get a better brand that has not passed its expiration date, then you are going to have a pretty good idea of where you stand in regards to water quality.

Some people will say do x amount of water changes x amount time a week, but without having actual readings you are just guessing as to the quality of your water.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:07 PM   #3 
AyalaCookiejar

Since there is no filter and no live plants, correct? I would do the one 50% and one 100% a week. Smaller tanks build up ammonia faster and do need more water changes. One change a week is not enough in a tank that size, with or without a filter.

If you want, since you have a vacuum, you could do a 50% and an 80-90% instead of the 100%. I'd do a 100% every so often, though, to rinse the gravel and decor.

Remember that 100% changes require you to re acclimate your fish. And a 1.5-2 gallon should be alright with proper upkeep, but personally, my smallest tank is a 4 gallon. I do keep one gallons though as hospital and quarantine tanks.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:39 PM   #4 
Myates

Personally on my smaller tanks (1g - 1.75g) I do one 100% water change every 5 days. No filter nor live plants in those tanks. Haven't had an issue with illnesses or fin rot/ammonia poisoning by doing it.

Adding a 50% water change mid week and a 100% at the end is not a bad idea though, as it will keep the water a bit cleaner.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:04 PM   #5 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

I thought 100% changes were unhealthy for fish, unless they're sick? 0.o That's what I've always been told.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:09 PM   #6 
AyalaCookiejar

No... I don't know where you heard that from?
Dirty water is unhealthy for fish. 100% changes require you to reacclimate... but they aren't unhealthy.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:57 PM   #7 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxxXnoodleXxxX View Post
I thought 100% changes were unhealthy for fish, unless they're sick? 0.o That's what I've always been told.
Each fish is a little different in care.. it also depends on the set up of the tank.

For a tank with no filter - regardless of size - it will require 100% water changes. The amount of the 100% changes is dependent upon size of tank. Normally anything under 5g you will want to do a weekly 100%, anything over 5g you will do a 100% once a month.

If you HAVE a filter, you don't do 100%s
If you HAVE live plants, you don't do 100%s

Only if you have no live plants and no filters you should be doing 100%s.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:35 PM   #8 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

So just one 100% change a week if it's around 2 gallons with no live plants? We syphon junk out once or twice a week. Or one 100% and a 50%?
Old 01-20-2013, 12:58 AM   #9 
gbose

XXXnoodle,

I may be in the minority, but I'm against 100% changes, as you have to remove the fish, which is stressful. What I do is siphon out the water until there's just enough for the fish to swim in and immediately add warm dechlorinated water. If you do that twice a week, you'll be good.

I would certainly suggest you upgrade to a larger tank, if you can afford the money and space. I've heard a 3G tank is good and my betta seems happy in mine. Others recommend a 5G...

GBose
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:11 AM   #10 
callistra

One 50% and one 100% w/ gravel rinsing is needed for a tank of this size.

Stress mostly comes from a change in water parameters and if you do changes properly that isn't a problem.

To do a 50%, use their tank thermometer to get the running tap to the same temp as their tank. Fill up change bucket, add conditioner, then add it to the water. To do a 100%, cup them in a plastic solo cup and wrap a towel around it to hold heat while you empty, rinse and refill their tank with matching temp water. Add your conditioner, stir it up a bit to get it distributed, then slowly acclimate by floating in the tank an hour and adding a couple tablespoons of the new water every 10 minutes. Finally add them and release as little water in the cup back into the water as possible.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote