Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-10-2013, 08:41 PM   #1 
chardzard

do bad fins pass on to the spawn?

ok i got this guy from a friend of mine he 1 of 2 marble i got ,at first he seem seem fine then i noice his fins started to look crumpel up but not too bad
Attached Images

chardzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:15 PM   #2 
veggiegirl

Hey there,

I don't breed bettas but I do breed budgies and physical traits are highly hereditary so I would say that it is the same with bettas which is why people choose breeders based on physical characteristicts that they like or are desirable for showing purposes. Breeding your fish to a female with good strong rays may improve the quality of the offspring and later if you breed with babies from this spawn then as long as you continue to breed to good strong rayed fish I think it would be likely that you could breed out the crumpled fin look though it may takes several generations. I am not sure how long as I am not really up with bettas genetics, I like to keep nice quality fish but I don't have the time to breed them so I just keep them as pets Goodluck with whatever you decide though, he is a lovely fish.
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:52 PM   #3 
aemaki09

Bad fins do pass on.
But I believe your betta's fins are like that from something in the water, not a deformity.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:10 AM   #4 
chardzard

i know that rosetails pass on the the traits it cant hurt to try a 1 spawn with him maybe i can trim the fins n give him to 1 of my friends that like sexxy fish like him
i use a lot of rain water n i pass it trough a fine filter before i use it, the friend i got him from was telling me he have a few bad rosetails in an other spawn i was checkin my spawn that came off my rose 1 so far look like it going to be a bad 1
Old 01-12-2013, 02:37 AM   #5 
indjo
TFK Moderator

It all depends on his genetics - If it were caused by his genes, then it will be passed on. Otherwise it won't.
HM's fins are easily influenced by a number of things like food and water. I don't really understand which food is best for them but many often suggest daphnia as one of its diet. And too much wormy food (specially tubifex) may ruin his fins. (sorry can't elaborate since I too don't really understand).

Water quality is very important. I live in a very polluted city with rather corrosive rain water - quite acidic. PK can tolerate my rain water but HM can't. Their fins will bend and curl. Though my tap water is also acidic (fairly same pH as rain water), it is far better than rain water.

If you use IAL, don't use too much and make water dark brown. This will also ruins HM fins - make it clamped or unable to spread to its maximum. Make the solution sort of yellowish brown. It probably won't be enough to bring the pH down but its safer for HM fins.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:46 PM   #6 
chardzard

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
It all depends on his genetics - If it were caused by his genes, then it will be passed on. Otherwise it won't.
HM's fins are easily influenced by a number of things like food and water. I don't really understand which food is best for them but many often suggest daphnia as one of its diet. And too much wormy food (specially tubifex) may ruin his fins. (sorry can't elaborate since I too don't really understand).

Water quality is very important. I live in a very polluted city with rather corrosive rain water - quite acidic. PK can tolerate my rain water but HM can't. Their fins will bend and curl. Though my tap water is also acidic (fairly same pH as rain water), it is far better than rain water.

If you use IAL, don't use too much and make water dark brown. This will also ruins HM fins - make it clamped or unable to spread to its maximum. Make the solution sort of yellowish brown. It probably won't be enough to bring the pH down but its safer for HM fins.
ok , i dont know the back ground on this fish but he is the only 1 of 20 fish i got from 1 of my friends with bad fins the other marble has great fins so far none of my guys has bad fins so i think i just skip breading him i have finaly learn how to raise 200+ spawns n dont want to raise 200+ bad fins at this moment so that y i ask the Q, the rain water here is still safe so far u can drink the tap water too , i mix tap water with rain water, i do a 50/50 mixture thx guys