Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-17-2013, 01:08 PM   #1 
LittleBettaFish

Female stealing fry/tending nest?

I have a pair of wild bettas that spawned a couple days ago. Being wilds I just leave mum and dad in together as they live together relatively peacefully.

Anyway at first I thought I just had one main nest with quite a lot of fry that my male was tending to.

However, last night I noticed my female guarding a nest under an IAL that had some fry in it. I thought perhaps it was coincidence that she was there, but as I watched she added some bubbles and caught two fry in her mouth and spat them back into the nest.

Then when the male got distracted and started flaring over at his reflection, the female dashed over to his nest, spat some falling fry back up into it, and then stole one to put it in her nest.

As of this morning, the male has moved his big nest and a majority of fry over to the front corner. I thought the female had lost interest or been chased off, but no, she is over where his old nest was with a couple of fry under an IAL nest she appears to have made herself.

Never seen this kind of behaviour before as even with wild bettas the father normally does all the work. She is one determined mum haha. She wasn't letting him near her last nest and was flaring at her reflection in a way very similar to a male defending his nest and fry.

Just thought it was rather peculiar. I guess with splendens you wouldn't get the chance to see this behaviour anyway as the mother is always removed.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:28 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

THAT is funny... Stealing back her babies :p And definitely would not see that with Splendens. The closest you see is the female releasing eggs (without a male around), and making a nest for the infertile eggs.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:00 PM   #3 
Hershey

I actually saw 1 pair where both were working together. It was neat.
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:17 PM   #4 
MrVampire181

I've heard of it happening with splendens. All of my females help gather eggs in the spawning process.

Still funny though. At least the fry are getting taken care of haha.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:22 PM   #5 
Hershey

http://youtu.be/_QRbHkmyQ10

Also, want.
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:24 PM   #6 
logisticsguy

Looks like you have a child custody case. Fish lawyers now involved.
logisticsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:26 PM   #7 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah all my females (wilds and splendens) have always helped gather eggs, but usually after that they just go off and do their own thing while the male is tending the nest and fry.

I've just never had a female actively build her own nest, steal fry to put in her nest and then defend the nest from the male. I so thought when she swam over to his nest she was either going to sabotage it or eat them all.

I think he got mad as he has assimilated her previous nest into his new nest. She only has one or two fry that she is watching in her new one.

I am waiting to see if she eventually loses interest as looking after fry really isn't instinctual for females. I think they only have a couple of days left anyway before they become free-swimming so I want to see how she reacts to that.

If they do spawn again I will be keen to see whether she displays the same behaviour or if it's just a one off thing.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:25 PM   #8 
Myates

That is adorable lol..
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:06 PM   #9 
LittleBettaFish

Well the male just raided her nest and stole all the fry out of it to put back in his nest. Now she is just sitting forlornly under the IAL.

What a weird pair of fish.

Perhaps capped by my pair who just started randomly embracing while I was pouring a bucket of water back into their tank. I guess that is how things are done in zee wild.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:29 PM   #10 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Weird an kind of awesome!
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote