Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-17-2013, 04:39 PM   #1 
Adelais

Aquarium salt and Epsom Salt

I was wondering if you could combine them? One of my boys has pretty bad fin rot and now has popeye. This will be his third day in AQ salt and already his fin rot seems much better. I did give him an epsom salt bath and his popeye is considerably better but not totally gone. Luckily, I caught it in the early stages so it wasn't bad to start off with. So, I was wondering if I could make things a bit easier and combine both the AQ salt and the epsom salt together. Iíve also noticed that today he has developed this odd and pretty violent twitch. It practically causes him to leap out of the water. What do you think would be causing this?
Adelais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:02 PM   #2 
Myates

Not wise to mix both.. go ahead and take him out of AQ and do some Epsom treatment - same as AQ salt:

1-3 (depending upon severity of the popeye) of Epsom salt per gallon (dissolve prior to placing him in there)
Daily 100% water changes adding in the Epsom + water conditioner each time
Continue until he is better..

If not better after 5 days or so, then you can look for medication to use.

The clean water you will be giving him during his treatment for popeye will help with the fin rot.. will help get rid of it. A lot of people use only clean water to get rid of it.. so going on the Epsom will still be helping the rot issue. If by the time he is done with popeye and the rot is still there (the black part) then you can continue the aq salt treatment.

Otherwise, it's one or the other - the popeye a bit more worrisome, as he can go blind or have other health issues over it. The fin rot takes time to rot all the way up the fins and to the body.. and I mean weeks+.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:06 PM   #3 
Myates

Just saw the twitching part... hmm.. parasitic?

Pop eye is a symptom rather than a disease - usually caused by some underlying bacteria infection. So continue with the Epsom to get the swelling down, that is all that may need to be done. If it doesn't help then look for some anti bacteria medication such as the Maracyn line, or even General Cure. General Cure may help with what is causing him to twitch.. is he trying to scratch on objects too?
Old 01-17-2013, 06:09 PM   #4 
Adelais

Okay, I will pull him out of the AQ salt and start the Epsom salt.
Quote:
Just saw the twitching part... hmm.. parasitic?
That's what I was thinking but, I wasn't sure. He doesn't do it all the time, only occasionally. I don't think that it's intentional because he doesn't try darting against anything and he's not trying to jump out. He can just be resting in the middle of the tank and all of the sudden he will get that twitch and literally go straight up out of the water. It only last a second and then he is fine. Acts like nothings happened. Anyway, hopefully switching him to Epsom salt will help him quiet a bit. Luckily, I do have both Maracyn 1 and 2 on hand just in case. Thank you for your help!
Old 01-17-2013, 06:56 PM   #5 
Myates

Good luck :) If the popeye doesn't get better, use the Epsom with both Maracyn products (check on package to make sure they can be used together.. but they should be able to).. that way it will take care of the bacteria causing the popeye, and the bacteria causing the fin rot.

Epsom will help if it's internal parasites some - but if he continues to twitch or starts to scratch I would look for General Cure by API - it will also help with the popeye/bacteria infection, along with internal and external parasites. The Maracyn won't do anything for parasites.. but at this point there is no for sure about parasites.. so just keep an eye on him for that.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:10 PM   #6 
Adelais

Okay, will do! Hopefully Epsom salt will do the trick. His eyes are already returning to normal. I'll check the petsmart near me while I'm there, to see if they carry General Cure. Would General Cure be something I should keep on hand as a "just in case" kind of thing? Or should I wait and by it if I need it?
Old 01-17-2013, 09:32 PM   #7 
Myates

Up to you - it's good for a lot of things such as popeye, dropsy, internal/external parasites. I personally would wait until it's needed, as any of those that it helps with won't kill the fish immediately - with dropsy you will want to get it right away though, but your Maracyn products also work with dropsy.

I would wait and see - if he starts rubbing up against things, or his waste is becoming stringy and clear then go ahead and get it, but right now if the Epsom is working then I would leave it at that - then you can just go to Maracyn if he needs a little more oomph to the treatment.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:46 PM   #8 
callistra

General Cure is good for external parasites and for mixing up a medicated feed for internal parasites - that's all I'd ever use it for. I doubt it will treat this as usually it's caused by a gram positive bacterial infection. Erythromycin (Maracyn) has a chance of helping, but I like Kanaplex, Maracyn Plus and Furan 2 better.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:09 PM   #9 
Adelais

Thank you guys for all your help. Sadly, I woke up this morning and he had passed. I'm heartbroken and have no idea that happened to him. His popeye was all gone and so was his fin rot. He was fine before I went to bed, acting and looking completely normal. Since he had improved so much I was going to put him back in his five gallon today. When I got up this morning to check on him that's when I found him. The strange thing was, his entire body was pine coned, his body was a weird black/gray color, and his eyes were completely gone. I'm kind of in shock over what has happened and spent the majority of this morning crying. Feeling very numb right now and like I caused his death. Which is probably not true.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:24 PM   #10 
Myates

I'm so sorry for your loss.. he must of had some serious bacteria infection from within him.. the pineconing sounds like his organs had shut down, the color change was probably the bacteria taking over.

Poor little guy.. and poor you.. :(