Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-17-2013, 07:57 PM   #1 
lpfanatic2003

Dealing with jumpers

So I got a couple baby betta from Petco about a month ago. I put them in a divided half gallon for them to grow in so I could easily check their condition and water and now I have one of them jumping over the divider in the tank. I plan on upgrading both of them to bigger tanks soon but I'm wondering if the jumping is going to continue because even in water changes and total cleans he's jumped onto my desk several times and am concerned if this is going to continue as he gets older. Furred started out as a jumper but wasn't this bad, he never once jumped out of his tank onto my desk and I am looking for advice on dealing with the jumping part.
lpfanatic2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:12 PM   #2 
asukabetta

Jumpers can be stopped with a simple solution: by reducing water levels, and putting a lid. A lid is very important and will solve this greatly or covering the tank with something but leaving a little room for air to come in. Or air the tank a few hours under supervision by removing the lid.

Also, yes, upgrading a tank is a good idea, 1/2 gallon is hardly enough for 1 fish yet alone 2... Unless you are doing 100% water changes every 3 days or so which can be stressful. I'm not even sure if a heater fits in the tank, warm water helps baby bettas grow properly, and because they are smaller they are more delicate and enjoy higher temperatures around 78F. Also Dividers are usually very tall or fitted with lower water levels and a lid as for bettas because they want to get on the other side and rid of the rival male on the other side.

It's better to get either 1 gallon tanks for each one, or get something bigger and divide that. Bigger is better in the fish world most of the time, 1 -2 gallons are alright for a betta, but if you get bigger tanks you can have more dividers/bettas or even decorate more and perhaps consider small tankmates and see how your betta interacts with them, it's quite rewarding, also bigger means less water changes as well.

Some bettas are prone to jumping it's all a manner of being careful and using perhaps a bigger net to stop the jumping. My plakats are natural jumpers, it's nothing to worry about, it's in their nature, just handle with care. <3

Last edited by asukabetta; 01-17-2013 at 08:17 PM.
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:35 PM   #3 
lpfanatic2003

The tank had a lid but there was a big enough gap between the divider and the lid. I plan on getting a couple 1 gallon tanks for them once I have the money tomorrow. As for now they are doing good in their separate containers, aside from some flaring and trying to set dominance from a few inches apart...lol
Old 01-18-2013, 07:57 PM   #4 
asukabetta

it happens, perhaps they would jump less if they didn't see each other, put something like a paper or a book in between :D that way they dont feel that their territory is threatened, if not they will stop flaring eventually and ignore each other. XD
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:57 AM   #5 
lpfanatic2003

They are doing much better today and aren't flaring at each other as much as they were before. They are also doing their "feeding dance" again as well. It looks like so far so good with this time around.

How prone are betta to jumping? I've had 4 and so far 3 of them have been jumpers. Is it really that common or is it just coincidence?